add callout to line graph - callout has wrong date

smak

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
short description: the correct point on the graph is selected but the call out seems to be a previous point/date.

I have a line graph. when I select the last point it corresponds to 3/29. when I manually add a call out it properly shows 3/29. But when I try and use vba, the correct point on the graph will be selected but the call out says 3/25.

code that selects the 3/29 date on the graph and puts 3/25 as the call out
VBA Code:
 ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 4").Activate
    ActiveChart.FullSeriesCollection(7).Points(742).Select
    ActiveChart.SetElement (msoElementDataLabelCallout)

this is a photo of the selected point is added with the vba. it selects the point that relates to row 751 and that has a date of 3/29...this is the correct point. the 8.2% that you see on the floating popup showing point 742 is the correct value that goes with 3/29
1649163790727.png

if I was to manually add the call out, it shows up like this. this is what it should look like
1649163479356.png

but when I let the rest of the code run, it gives me this call out. the code is picking a prior date for the callout
1649163944913.png

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Point 742 is not the point for row 751. That would be point 746.

Upvote 0
when I tell the code to select 746 it gives me an error. plus when hovering over the selected 742 the 8.2% is correct. if I look at the 3/25 call out it is 8.6%. this is the right value for 8/25

the issue is that there is one point on the graph selected but the call out is for a previous point that is not selected.

On a side note the range of this is from H6:H751. so there are 3 rows not in the mix. that is why it is not 746. and even when I fix the range to include rows 3-6 and then highlight 745 (since that is the new last point), it still wants to put the call out on 3/25.

I tried the 746 prior to asking this question. I have been staring at this for a while and nothing is jumping

Upvote 0
If your data goes from row 6 to row 751, 742 cannot be the correct point number for row 751.

Upvote 0
it looks like up till 3/8/2022 the 'point' is the date so 3/8 or 2/12. but after that it goes to a number like 734.

but I don't see a difference in the data or a range not expanded.

I agree that this numbering makes no sense. I would have expected it to be 751 or maybe even 749 if we took off the top header rows.

Upvote 0
Try this:

ActiveChart.FullSeriesCollection(7).Points(ActiveChart.FullSeriesCollection(7).Points.Count).Select

Upvote 0
the selection code line provided works to highlighting the last point on the graph. but when I try to set the element of a callout, it does not put it on that point. it puts it on a point few earlier. I think the reason is that the last few points to do not have "values/name"

so this is my range that it is producing the chart off of. this is the x axis. the highlighted dates are mentioned below.
1649256192311.png

when I hover over the point that would relate to 3/23 I get the following data. it names the point as "3/23". this is how most of the points are labeled. the last one that has a date is 3/25.
1649256289663.png

when I hover over the last point that should be 3/29 I get the following data. it just calls it point 742 and not the data of "3/29". the 8.2% is the right percentage that corresponds to 3/29
1649256381673.png

when I try to do the call box with vba it puts it on 3/25. this is the last point that has a 'name' and not just a point number.
1649256517326.png

I think this is the issue but I don't know know to fix it. I can select/highlight the 3/29 point on the chart but when I add the callout it adds it to 3/25

Upvote 0
I tried to replicate your data and chart. I presume those are dates in M/D format, every day starting on 3/11/2020. I don't know why some of the points show point number instead of date. Make sure the series formula includes the entire ranges for X and Y:
=SERIES(Sheet1!$C$2,Sheet1!$B$3:$B$751,Sheet1!$C$3:$C$751,1)
Although when I changed the formula to this:
=SERIES(Sheet1!$C$2,Sheet1!$B$3:$B$745,Sheet1!$C$3:$C$751,1)
the last point plotted was 3/23. So probably not your problem.
Also make sure that those last few dates haven't somehow been entered as text, though when I did this, the points were still identified by the text representation of the date, and not by point number. Also probably not your problem.

Upvote 0
thanks for looking at it. the formula you mentioned for the range is correct.

At least i have an idea why it is not working and that it is not something that I entered wrong. I will keep trying to play with it and if I come up with a solution I will put it on here in case anyone else has the same issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back