add comment to a shape?

merlin777

I'd like to add a comment to a shape in the same way you can with a cell - is that possible?

Although comments appear with a mouseover i'd be happy to get it from clicking on the shape and to close the comment either escape, a second click or a 'close this box' button in the comment.

thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.

oldbrewer

Board Regular
A1 =if(B1=1,"comment","")

go into shape press = and click A1

now when B1=1 comment appears in shape and to remove it delete B1

merlin777

i'm sorry but i don't quite understand.

If I put 1 into b1 then "comment" appears in a1 but i don't understand how this relates to a shape?

oldbrewer

Board Regular
because in the shape is =A1 make a shape, highlight it, press = , go to A1, press return

contents of A1 now in your shape

merlin777

ADVERTISEMENT

ok - I see what you're saying. I didn't realise you could put a formula in a shape.

I've clicked on 'insert shape'
selected a shape
drawn the shape
it is selected (showing handles)
I've pressed = on the keyboard and it apperas in the shape
i've clicked in A1 but nothing appears in the shape

I also tried typing =A1 into the shape directly but it jusr showed as text and didn't evaluate as a formula.

What am I doing wrong?

oldbrewer

Board Regular
nothing - I assumed a shape wd accept it like a chart does - but it doesnt - v sry

oldbrewer

Board Regular
..but if you hover over bottom right corner of shape, choose assign macro, write a little macro that puts the comments adjacent to your shape, and sets a helper cell to 1, now insert code at the front of your macro that says if helper cell is 1 then delete the cell with the comments ie it alternately puts up comments and deletes them - so first time use the helper is blank and the comments appear.....

merlin777

you're not going mad... you can get a shape to take a cell reference. The trick seems to be clicking in the formula bar, not typing directly because this puts the shape into edit text mode, which is the problem I was having.

nothing - I assumed a shape wd accept it like a chart does - but it doesnt - v sry

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori83

This Week's Hot Topics