Add Hard Return (Char(10)) and new Text to existing text in Cell

Smokeyham

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I've been given a spreadsheet with a series of cells which the person wants printed as labels. They would like add a hard return to the exisiting text, and also some addtional text to each cell ("Fiscal Year 2009/2010").

Here is a sample:

Current Value
Northwind Products

Desired Value
Northwind Products
Fiscal Year 2009/2010

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to add in the "hard return" Char(10).

Thanks for any help.

Gordon

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Are you going to extract the labels to a text file or do you want it all in Excel?

If you working in Excel, replace Northwind Products with:

="Northwind Products"&CHAR(10)&"Fiscal Year 2009/2010"

Right click cell. Choose Format... and on the Alignment tab choose Wrap Text.

Voila!
<script>(function () { var ytLoop = false; var ytPlayList; var ytPLIndex; loopy = document.createElement("div"); loopy.id = "eLoopy"; a = document.createElement("label"); a.id = "eOnOff"; a.innerHTML = "Loop"; a.title = "Enable auto replay"; a.setAttribute("onClick", "LoopyOnOff(); return false;"); a.setAttribute("class", "LoopyOff"); if (window.location.href.toLowerCase().indexOf("feature=playlist") > 0) { a.innerHTML = "Loop PlayList"; urlArgs = window.location.href.slice(window.location.href.indexOf("?") + 1).split("&"); for (var i = 0; i < urlArgs.length; i++) { arg = urlArgs.split("="); if (arg[0].toLowerCase() == "p") { ytPlayList = arg[1]; } else if (arg[0].toLowerCase() == "index") { ytPLIndex = parseInt(arg[1]) + 1; } } if (ytPlayList == getCookie("LoopyPL")) { a.title = "Disable auto replay"; a.setAttribute("class", "LoopyOn"); ytLoop = true; } } loopy.appendChild(a); window.setTimeout(function () {initLoopy(true);}, 500); window.setTimeout(function () {initLoopy(false);}, 1500); window.setTimeout(function () {initLoopy(false);}, 3500); function initLoopy(addElement) { if (addElement) { document.getElementById("watch-player-div").appendChild(loopy); } ytPlayer = document.getElementById("movie_player"); ytPlayer.addEventListener("onStateChange", "onPlayerStateChange"); } onPlayerStateChange = function (newState) {if (ytLoop && newState == "0") {if (typeof ytPlayList != "undefined") {if (ytPLIndex == document.getElementById("playlistVideoCount_PL").innerHTML) {var url = document.getElementById("playlistRow_PL_0").getElementsByTagName("a")[0].href + "&playnext=1";window.setTimeout(function () {window.location = url;}, 60);}} else {window.setTimeout(function () {ytPlayer.playVideo();}, 60);}}}; LoopyOnOff = function () {if (ytLoop) {if (typeof ytPlayList != "undefined") {setCookie("LoopyPL", null);}document.getElementById("eOnOff").title = "Enable auto replay";document.getElementById("eOnOff").setAttribute("class", "LoopyOff");ytLoop = false;} else {if (typeof ytPlayList != "undefined") {setCookie("LoopyPL", ytPlayList);}document.getElementById("eOnOff").title = "Disable auto replay";document.getElementById("eOnOff").setAttribute("class", "LoopyOn");ytLoop = true;}}; function getCookie(name) { var results = document.cookie.match("(^|;) ?" + name + "=([^;]*)(;|$)"); if (results) { return unescape(results[2]); } else { return null; } } function setCookie(name, value) { document.cookie = name + "=" + escape(value); } if (typeof GM_addStyle == "undefined") { GM_addStyle = function (text) {var head = document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var style = document.createElement("style");style.setAttribute("type", "text/css");style.textContent = text;head.appendChild(style);}; } GM_addStyle("\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t#eLoopy {\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\twidth: 28px;\t\t\t\t\t\t\tmargin-left: auto;\t\t\t\t\t\ttext-align: center;\t\t\t\t\t\tbackground: #EFEFEF;\t\t\t\t\t\tborder-left: #B1B1B1 1px solid;\t\t\t\t\tborder-right: #B1B1B1 1px solid;\t\t\t\tborder-bottom: #B1B1B1 1px solid;\t\t\t\tpadding: 1px 4px 1px 4px;\t\t\t\t\tmargin-bottom: 5px; }\t\t\t\t\t#eOnOff {\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tfont-weight: bold;\t\t\t\t\t\ttext-decoration: none;\t\t\t \t\t\t-moz-user-select: none;\t\t\t \t\t\t-khtml-user-select: none;\t\t \t\t\tuser-select: none; }\t\t\t\t\t.LoopyOff {\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tcolor: grey !important; }\t\t\t\t.LoopyOff:hover {\t\t\t\t\t\t\tcolor: black !important; }\t\t\t\t.LoopyOn {\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tcolor: crimson !important; }"); })()</script>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you going to extract the labels to a text file or do you want it all in Excel?

My thinking is that once I have everything ready to go that we would use the Avery Wizard to create the labels.

Gordon

Upvote 0
Activate the cell, put cursor after the text and press Alt+Enter.

Thanks.... but I'm trying to see if I can find a way to automate the process..... There are a couple of hundred cells to do this in.....

Upvote 0
Try this. Untested!!!!
Code:
Sub FixMe()
Dim cl as Range
For Each cl in Selection
cl = cl & CHR(10) & "Fiscal Year 2009/2010"
Next cl
End Sub
lenze

Upvote 0
If you working in Excel, replace Northwind Products with:

="Northwind Products"&CHAR(10)&"Fiscal Year 2009/2010"

Thanks.... I should have clarified. Each cell currently has a different text value, so do you have a suggestion for a modification to the above which would add the ""&CHAR(10)&"Fiscal Year 2009/2010" to the existing text?

Upvote 0
Try this. Untested!!!!
Code:
Sub FixMe()
Dim cl as Range
For Each cl in Selection
cl = cl & CHR(10) & "Fiscal Year 2009/2010"
Next cl
End Sub
lenze

Worked perfectly!!!! Thanks so much!!!

Gordon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back