Add-in pathway problem

Jak

I have created a few add-ins i.e. DuplicateHighlighter.xla which I have distributed to co-workers. The add-ins are e-mailed over with a series of instructions on where to save the add-in and how to load it in Excel. The problem that I have is that some co-workers are not as IT literate as others. Some times the PC has files and folders set to hidden and they can't follow the pathway i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Jak\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns as the Application Data folder is not visable. While other co-workers would be happier if the add-in was done automatically with an .exe approach. Once the add-in is in the desired folder the co-workers do not have a problem installing it.

I would appreciate some insight on how to make the add-in executable and load the add-in to the right folder as in the pathway posted would be slightly different for each user as their own name in the pathway i.e. Jak might be Bill or John etc.

All suggestions welcomed, Thanks

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Not sure how to make it an executable, but add-ins don't have to be saved to that folder structure, they can be saved anywhere on the system as long as they are not moved, then you just Browse to the file when you install it through the Add-Ins menu.

Upvote 0
Hi Hotpepper

The user can't just save it to their hard drive as they are restricted from doing so by the companys ICT policy or things would have been a lot easier. Therefore I need them to save the add-in to the add-ins folder. No idea about .exe files myself or a self extracting programs, hence the post. Thanks for your response.

Upvote 0
Hi bandit_1981

I thought about Winrar, WinZip etc but most users don't have these programs on their PC's and they would not be able to download them because of restrictions in ICT Policy. Cheers for the input. What i have been thinking about is a .bat file to go with the add-in but am still stuck on how to code it to move or copy the add-in to the right directory! Any thoughts or sample code?

Upvote 0
How are they able to save your spreadsheet if they are not allowed to save anything?

Why will they not allow them to save anything but will allow them to enable macros?

Why not just talk to the IT department, tell them what you need and why and work out a reasonable solution, rather than trying to sneak your add-in on their system.

Or if they are allowed to save your spreadsheet, just include the add-in code in the workbook instead of having to load it as an add-in.

Upvote 0
Hi HOTPEPPER

Its not a case of sneaking an add-in onto a pc as I have distributed many add-ins to co-workers over the last few years. Part of my job is to find solutions to time demanding tasks which I usually do with Excel macros. Its a case of getting the add-in to the add-in folder. While you are able to save things to your hard drive the ICT policy asks that you not do so, perhaps it is not backed up on the server!!! Not really sure what the reason is. WWW is greatly restricted so downloading programs is a big no no hence anyone who did not have WinRar or WinZip etc installed before the policys were implemented would not be able to download them.

I think I will have a word with the ICT Team today as you suggest and see if they can set up a shared network folder to dump the add-ins into and use a bit of code to install them i.e something like this but in a .bat file.

Code:
Sub Addininstaller()
Dim oXL As Object, oAddin As Object
Set oXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
oXL.Workbooks.Add
Set oAddin = oXL.AddIns.Add("G:\JaksAddIns\DuplicateChecker.xla", True)
oAddin.Installed = True
oXL.Quit
Set oXL = Nothing
End Sub

Thanks for your input Hotpepper

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back