Add-In Problems for 2010

Outlaw44

Hi all,

At work, we have a handful of add-ins that have been used for quite a while. I'm not sure when they were originally written, but when we switched from Office 2003 to Office 2007, a lot of them didn't work until we got a VBA converter from MS. We have now switched to Office 2010 and are having the same problem. MS sent our IT department a VBA converter pack (converter, several .dll files, etc) with instructions, but that has not worked. I can post the instructions if that would help. One of the IT guys I've spoken with stated that MS had a solution for 64-bit systems running Office 2010, but not 32 (I'm on 32). But, the instructions that came with the VBA converter say it will work for both 32 and 64-bit systems running Office 2010. I know I have the add-ins in the right location. Unfortunately, our IT department is struggling with what to do because they are not familiar with VBA code and don't deal with Excel issues regularly. I am more familiar with the location of the add-ins, how they work, etc. The last suggestion was to try to get a local tech support person from MS over to our office to try to figure it out.

To make matters more interesting, the last step in the instructions says to extract each VBA module and then import it and that should take care of any language issues from an older version of Excel to 2010. However, all but one of the add-ins were purchased and are password protected. AND, the one that is our own code and not password protected STILL doesn't work after exporting and importing it. We've never had to mess with the modules when installing the VBA converters for older versions of Excel.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and/or been able to get add-ins written in an older version of Excel to work in Excel 2010?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Welcome to MrExcel.

Macros on an Excel 5.0/95 macro sheet won't work in Excel 2007 and need to be converted:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926430

But there is no VBA Converter for upgrading from Excel 2007 to Excel 2010. Macros that work in Excel 2007 should work in Excel 2010.

In what way aren't your add-Ins working?

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew. Yes, you are correct; my understanding is that the same converter that will convert to 2007 will work for 32-bit 2010 versions. All I can say is the add-ins worked when we had 2007 and when we switched to 2010, they don't work anymore.

I think the best way to tell you how the add-ins aren't working is through a specific example.

We have an add-in titled "PowerUtilities.xla" (I work in the Energy division of my company and I believe this is an add-in we developed, but it is password protected). One function of this add-in is to calculate the wet bulb temperature of air based on the dry bulb temperature, the relative humidity and elevation. In Excel 2007, I could either directly type "=Air_WBT(dry bulb temp, rel humidity, elevation)" or use the insert function option and find "Air_WBT." If I used the insert function option, it would allow me to select the cells that are the dry bulb temperature, rel humidity, etc. to complete the equation. Now, when I search for it, there is no "help" available AND it is listed as "PowerUtilities.xla!PsycFunctions.Air_WBT" instead of just "Air_WBT." In either case, when I complete the equation, all I get is a name error.

Upvote 0
Have you actually installed the Add-In? I don't see why Add-In functions that work in Excel 2007 won't work in Excel 2010.

Upvote 0
Yup. They are all listed under File-Options-Add-Ins as "Active Application Add-ins." Also, before I installed the latest VBA converter from my IT, I did used to get a VBA converter error when opening Excel. I'm guessing due to the add-ins. Since I've installed it, the error when opening has gone away, but the add-ins still don't work.

Son of a ... Just figured it out after typing the above. I went into my options to make sure macros were enabled. While in the "trust center settings" I saw that there is an "Add-Ins" section. Come to find out, somehow the default setting is a checked box that says, "Disable all Application Add-ins." ARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Weird that they were showing up as active application add-ins under the Excel Options window even though this box was checked. You'd think they'd take them out of the active list if something is checked to disable them.

Oh well, I got it working and learned something new!

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back