Add-In Worksheet as a Data Repository vs. External Workbook

Nadine

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello and thank you for any attention my post may receive.

Is it possible or good practice to have an excel add-in to store data? The single add-in will be used on two computers only.

The user's will save/paste data from their input pages to a single worksheet in the add-in on a twice-daily basis.

Only one of the user's workbooks will be used to retrieve/report the data from the add-in worksheet.

And can formulas be used in the add-in worksheet?

I know I can develop a more formal database, but due to business restrictions this is not possible, i.e. MS Access is not an option - Excel is one of the few applications the business allows.

Or should I just create a third workbook for the two user workbooks to save/paste to? I do not want to create a shared-workbook environment.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi,
personally I would suggest you go for your last option - create a master workbook (database) that users can access over your network to read/write data from your template (input) workbooks.
You will need to develop code to do this but do be mindful that you cannot have the database workbook open in read / write mode whist others need to send data to it.

Have a look at this thread:Standard entry from another worksheet
#Post 10 & see if any help to you

Dave

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi,
personally I would suggest you go for your last option - create a master workbook (database) that users can access over your network to read/write data from your template (input) workbooks.
You will need to develop code to do this but do be mindful that you cannot have the database workbook open in read / write mode whist others need to send data to it.

Dave
Thank you Dave!

The third option is what is currently in place. It is only open through code to paste the data from the two source workbooks. Which opens, updates, and closes in the background.

I will have a look and consider #Post 10 from the thread you suggested.

Thank you again for your advice, which essentially I was wanting to hear. I think I wanted to ask the wider community for advice for my own convincing....and you have done that!

Have a great day!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Dave

Dave that is some cool code. I have projects that this will definitely be used.

Thank you for the direction, and a bigger thank you for your time and experience.

Upvote 0
Dave that is some cool code. I have projects that this will definitely be used.

Thank you for the direction, and a bigger thank you for your time and experience.

most welcome - code could use some updating but hopefully gives you enough to work with

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back