Add only the table to a subform and not the form

Pookiemeister

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
In my database, I have a table called tblMaintEntries, a matching form called frmMaintEntries, and another table called tblMaintPersonnel and form called frmMaintPersonnel. The user will use the form to put data into the tables. I am wanting to put a subform of just tblMaintEntries inside the frmMaintPersonnel so only the maintenance performed is shown by that maintenance person in the subform. I tried using the subform wizard but it keeps adding the frmMaintEntries and not tblMaintEntries. Yes, I realize it is called a "subform" for that reason and not a subtable. Anyway, is there a way to achieve this? Thank you.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
One reason to not do this is that users should never directly edit tables, which is what this would end up being. Aside from limited table level validation, you have no way to prevent bad edits or data input. This is probably why the wizard presents the option to use a table but creates a form from it. You would have to open in design, on property sheet Data tab remove the source object entered there and then choose a table from the list.

Instead I would leave the form but change the view to a datasheet, then it will look like a table but it won't be an actual table and you will have the ability to employ all features that you have available with a normal form.

Upvote 0
Any table designed for user interaction is best done as a form in datasheet view, as described above by Micron. I don't know exactly what your wizard is doing. But generally, you can create the form for the table that displays the table in datasheet view, then drag it into another form to create the subform you want.

Upvote 0
Instead I would leave the form but change the view to a datasheet, then it will look like a table but it won't be an actual table and you will have the ability to employ all features that you have available with a normal form.
I'm still learning Access. So please forgive some of my questions. If this is to be done on the subform, how would I do this.

Upvote 0
@xenou
Perhaps my explanation was not clear, so I apologize. What I am wanting, when the user selects the frmMaintPersonnel, and selects a maintenance person, the subform should only display the work done by that individual and should not allow them to edit anything on that subform, like the associated table. I hope this explanation is a little clearer. Thank you .

Upvote 0
Never mind, I figured out how to change the form to a datasheet. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I don't know exactly what your wizard is doing.
At least in my version, if you select a table to put into a subform control, it creates a form. I have to manually remove the subform control source and select a table from a list if I want to use the table itself - something I wouldn't ordinarily do.

You want the entire form to be read only? Open the subform in design view (not the main form that it is on). Make sure the form is what is active and not a control. On property sheet data tab choose Snapshot as the recordset type.

Or faster because you don't have to wait for an answer - Google it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back