add period when needed

Manolocs

Hello,
I am trying to fix period when needed, but take in consideration "," ":" "?" when inserting.
The formula I am trying to use is the below but it is adding another period at the end, and inserting a period when the cell is empty.
This formula was made by Special-k99 in another thread.
Thanks in advance

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=trim(b1)&if(or(right(trim(b1),1)=":",right(trim(b1),1)="?"),"",".")[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Darn! I wish I hadn't read this now :)

Does this work?

=IF(B1="","",TRIM(B1)&IF(OR(RIGHT(TRIM(B1),1)=",",RIGHT(TRIM(B1),1)=":",RIGHT(TRIM(B1),1)="?"),"","."))

If last character is comma, colon or question mark adds nothing.
If B1 is blank adds nothing.
Otherwise adds a period

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Special-K99 thanks again for your help, it is still adding more periods if there is a period at the end. :(
Would be great if do not add period if there is a period already :)

Upvote 0
Hi Special-K99 thanks again for your help, it is still adding more periods if there is a period at the end. :(
Would be great if do not add period if there is a period already :)
Does this formula do what you want...

=A1&IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(RIGHT(A1),".,:?!")),"",".")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it is still adding another period if the text ends in a period :(
Are you replying to my formula? If so, do you perhaps have one or more spaces after the last character? If so, this should fix it...

=TRIM(A1)&IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(RIGHT(TRIM(A1)),".,:?!")),"",".")

Upvote 0
Are you replying to my formula? If so, do you perhaps have one or more spaces after the last character? If so, this should fix it...

=TRIM(A1)&IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(RIGHT(TRIM(A1)),".,:?!")),"",".")

Sorry Rick Rothstein, yes your formula is still adding a period if there are more than one period. Some of the cells have more than one period, but maybe I can search for more than two periods and change it....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry Rick Rothstein, yes your formula is still adding a period if there are more than one period. Some of the cells have more than one period, but maybe I can search for more than two periods and change it....
We need to see what you see... can you show us several examples of text that you have where the formula doesn't work (periods at the end or any other characters that may not work for you)?

Upvote 0
The problem with cell A1 is that those three dots are not three individual dots, they are a single character called an ellipsis (which Excel automatically substitutes when it sees three adjacent dots). In the following formula, I simply added the ellipsis character to the list of terminating characters inside the FIND function)...

=TRIM(A1)&IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(RIGHT(TRIM(A1)),".,:?!…")),"",".")

You highlighted cell A5 in red... was that supposed to indicate my formula returned the wrong value? If so, what should it have returned?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back