Add Table as a Shape in Excel

x0nar

We know that in case of MS Word, it lacks the concept of cells as a means to store data. So in that case if one were to add a Table it would be somewhat a free floating shape. However that is not the case of Excel, wherein if we insert a table it stores the data in cells. The problem with that is say for eg. I have inserted a table in C and D column, now if I wanted to change the size of table say extend it horizontally this would mean that it would alter column width of entire C and D column, which is something I wouldn't prefer. However this would not happen if that table was stored as a Shape. Since in case of Shapes, the data entered is not stored in the Cells but in the shape itself. This means, I can freely move that shape or resize it without affecting the corresponding column or row widths.
So what I wanted to ask, was that if it was possible to add Table as a Shape in Excel, which has functionalities similar to that of Word ie. Add Columns or Rows, or Resize it.
Note that I do not intend to perform any data calculations or use any of Excel functions in this table, it is just meant for filling in data.
Thank you for your response.

shg

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
No, that's not possible.

You could create a picture and assign that to a shape.

Or you could select a range, Copy, select some other cell, click Paste, then select Picture or Linked Picture.

x0nar

No, that's not possible.

You could create a picture and assign that to a shape.

Or you could select a range, Copy, select some other cell, click Paste, then select Picture or Linked Picture.

Thanks for replying.
That's quite a shock given the versatility of excel.

I was aware of the second option you provided as an alternative to my desired output.
However, I couldn't quite catch upon your first recommendation. Could you please elaborate ?
Thank you for your time.

shg

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
That's quite a shock given the versatility of excel.
It doesn't shock me at all, considering what Excel's is designed to do.

Could you please elaborate
Copy a range, paste it as a picture into Word, from Word save it as a picture.

Create an autoshape in Excel and fill it with the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_Dubs

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...