Add Table as a Shape in Excel

x0nar

We know that in case of MS Word, it lacks the concept of cells as a means to store data. So in that case if one were to add a Table it would be somewhat a free floating shape. However that is not the case of Excel, wherein if we insert a table it stores the data in cells. The problem with that is say for eg. I have inserted a table in C and D column, now if I wanted to change the size of table say extend it horizontally this would mean that it would alter column width of entire C and D column, which is something I wouldn't prefer. However this would not happen if that table was stored as a Shape. Since in case of Shapes, the data entered is not stored in the Cells but in the shape itself. This means, I can freely move that shape or resize it without affecting the corresponding column or row widths.
So what I wanted to ask, was that if it was possible to add Table as a Shape in Excel, which has functionalities similar to that of Word ie. Add Columns or Rows, or Resize it.
Note that I do not intend to perform any data calculations or use any of Excel functions in this table, it is just meant for filling in data.
Thank you for your response.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
No, that's not possible.

You could create a picture and assign that to a shape.

Or you could select a range, Copy, select some other cell, click Paste, then select Picture or Linked Picture.

Upvote 0
No, that's not possible.

You could create a picture and assign that to a shape.

Or you could select a range, Copy, select some other cell, click Paste, then select Picture or Linked Picture.

Thanks for replying.
That's quite a shock given the versatility of excel.

I was aware of the second option you provided as an alternative to my desired output.
However, I couldn't quite catch upon your first recommendation. Could you please elaborate ?
Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
That's quite a shock given the versatility of excel.

It doesn't shock me at all, considering what Excel's is designed to do.

Could you please elaborate

Copy a range, paste it as a picture into Word, from Word save it as a picture.

Create an autoshape in Excel and fill it with the picture.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back