Addin Doesn't Always Load

SeanDamnit

Board Regular
Hello Internet,

I created an add-in that I use to house the various scripts and UDFs that make my work life a little easier. On my home computer (Windows 10, Office 2013), I noticed that the addin frequently does not load when excel is first open. This is inconsistent, and I haven't been able to figure out what conditions cause it to load or not load, but it doesn't work more often than not. I'm seeing the same issues on the conference laptop at my work (Win 10, Office 2016), but usually don't have an issue on my work computer or co-worker's computers (Win 10, Office 2013, 2016).

The addin is listed as active, but as you can see from the screen shots below, the custom ribbon I created is not present, and the addin is not shown in the Projects view of VBA:

http://i.imgur.com/jil9JlM.png
http://i.imgur.com/9KndKlq.png

Simply un-checking and re-checking the add-in loads it properly, however:

http://i.imgur.com/PBQqkz5.png

Any idea what could be causing this?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I've seen similar behavior for an add-in I use. I don't know what causes it, but here's a workaround I use successfully. In my PERSONAL.XLSB workbook (which opens hidden when you first open Excel), in a Thisworkbook module I have this code:
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Call LoadMyAddIn
End Sub
In a standard module in my PERSONAL.XLSB workbook I have the LoadMyAddIn procedure below.
Code:
Sub LoadMyAddIn()
    Dim myAddIn As AddIn
   MsgBox "loading MyAddIn.xlam at startup"  '<-- Change name and extension of add-in to suit
    For Each myAddIn In AddIns
        If myAddIn.Name = "MyAddIn.xla" Then  '<-- Change name and extension of add-in to suit
            myAddIn.Installed = False
            myAddIn.Installed = True
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
I've seen similar behavior for an add-in I use. I don't know what causes it, but here's a workaround I use successfully. In my PERSONAL.XLSB workbook (which opens hidden when you first open Excel), in a Thisworkbook module I have this code:
Code:
Call LoadMyAddIn
End Sub
In a standard module in my PERSONAL.XLSB workbook I have the LoadMyAddIn procedure below.
Code:
Sub LoadMyAddIn()
    Dim myAddIn As AddIn
   MsgBox "loading MyAddIn.xlam at startup"  '<-- Change name and extension of add-in to suit
        If myAddIn.Name = "MyAddIn.xla" Then  '<-- Change name and extension of add-in to suit
            myAddIn.Installed = True
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Makes sense, I appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
Code:
Call LoadMyAddIn
End Sub
Code:
Sub LoadMyAddIn()
    Dim myAddIn As AddIn
            myAddIn.Installed = True
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Dear JoeMo, I just wanted to let you know that this workaround/solution has been perfect for a problem I was having!
Thank you very much for making it available!

Best regards!

Upvote 0
Dear JoeMo, I just wanted to let you know that this workaround/solution has been perfect for a problem I was having!
Thank you very much for making it available!

Best regards!
Thank you for taking the time to let me know you have benefited from this - much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back