Adding a shared network drive as a Trusted Location

Zacariah171

I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask but I haven't had any luck looking elsewhere. The newest Microsoft 365 update screwed me up big time. I work remotely and just about all of my excel files are saved on a network drive that our other employees (there's only a few) have access to. When I work on these files, I normally just open them from the network drive, edit them, and save them back to the network drive. However, when I open these files now, I get the new pink Security Risk ribbon and all my macros are blocked from running because they are "from the web". I could download the files to my computer when I need to work on them and then save them back to the network drive but that can't be the only way. I've tried opening the Trust Center Settings and adding a new location and added the network drive, G:\, but that didn't work and I get an error saying that path can't be used for security reasons. Does anybody have any ideas how to add a network drive as a trusted location? Again, I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask this question.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I am having the same issue. Did you find a solution?

I have the box checked to allow network drives but the Trust Center will still not allow me to add a location. This is really frustrating. I have also checked all the boxes to allow VBA and that has not helped.

Upvote 0
I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask but I haven't had any luck looking elsewhere. The newest Microsoft 365 update screwed me up big time. I work remotely and just about all of my excel files are saved on a network drive that our other employees (there's only a few) have access to. When I work on these files, I normally just open them from the network drive, edit them, and save them back to the network drive. However, when I open these files now, I get the new pink Security Risk ribbon and all my macros are blocked from running because they are "from the web". I could download the files to my computer when I need to work on them and then save them back to the network drive but that can't be the only way. I've tried opening the Trust Center Settings and adding a new location and added the network drive, G:\, but that didn't work and I get an error saying that path can't be used for security reasons. Does anybody have any ideas how to add a network drive as a trusted location? Again, I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask this question.
I have the same issues as you. Were you able to find a solution.

Upvote 0
Spent about half an hour looking for solution for this so here what solved it for me:
1) Open start menu and look for Internet Options
2) Go to Security
3) Trusted Sites
4) Sites
5) Untick Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone
6) Add the drive (you can add just the mapped drive letter, and it will convert it to UNC, or just the ip of the host)

In excel if it doesn't work also check that in the Trust Center and make sure network locations are authorized and that macro security level is set to at least have a notification that you will be able to accept.

Upvote 0
Spent about half an hour looking for solution for this so here what solved it for me:
1) Open start menu and look for Internet Options
2) Go to Security
3) Trusted Sites
4) Sites
5) Untick Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone
6) Add the drive (you can add just the mapped drive letter, and it will convert it to UNC, or just the ip of the host)

In excel if it doesn't work also check that in the Trust Center and make sure network locations are authorized and that macro security level is set to at least have a notification that you will be able to accept.
So I literally registered to say thanks to you Proulxs, that was a fix that worked for me, and will likely help another tech who is having issues with a network drive for a client.

Thanks! You saved me a lot of investigative time!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back