Adding a vertical line in conditional formatting data bars at 100%

kopp123

Hello, I have a budgeting sheet where I'd like to show a vertical line against some progress bars at a value other than zero. In particular, I'd like to highlight where budgets are at more than 100%. It looks like conditional formatting can only handle that if the value you're targeting is zero.

I'm currently just drawing a vertical line at the 100% mark, but would like to do it dynamically if possible (I've forgotten to update it occasionally). Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

a0msp2t.png

Delta: vertical line at 0 using conditional formatting
Percent: vertical line at 100 using vertical line

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
There is a way to do this. I am experimenting with some code. Your (manual) line has a name and can be handled as a shape in VBA. So you can check the highest value in the range (here 215) and then knowing the width of the cell calculate where the line needs to be positioned. Then you can use the .Left property of the shape to position it correctly. You can use the .Left property of the cell to help, to accommodate changes to the worksheet. I'll get back next week somewhere

Upvote 0
Thanks, not sure this is still on your radar or not, but I think that's more work than I need at the moment. Appreciate your help though!

Upvote 0
it had slipped my mind. if I have some time I'll get back to it

Upvote 0
Oh, this has been deeply hidden in my inbox. Sorry if I have kept you waiting.

One quick solution is to add an extra column with the formula 1- %budget, and then do the conditional formatting there:
1590581727757.png

You can then set the colour of the text to white, fontsize to 1, allignment to left, to get:

1590582010730.png

Would that be useful?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back