Adding another if command to the NOW formula

rizzob95

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all;
I'm hoping someone can help me with this dilemma. I have a drop down cell that triggers another cell to track the start times of work. I've figured out how to make everything work without the reoccurring "now" time stamp. My problem is i would like to add another if command, below is the formula that's currently working with the drop down that says "started" and "Time Adjust". My objective, is when someone clicks "started" the now command issues the current date and time in another cell. What I need is to also have them be able to select "Time Adj." and they can manually enter a time from another cell.
=IF(Q8="Started",IF(W8="",NOW(),W8),"")

what I thought would work is this:

=IF(Q8="Started",IF(W8="",NOW(),W8),AH8) this formula would not have the "Time Adj." drop down selection. Instead it would just copy the cell information in AH8.
OR
=IF(Q8="Started",IF(W8="",NOW(),W8),""),IF(Q8="Time Adj.",AH8,"")
OR
=IF(AND(Q8="Started",AH8=""),NOW(),""),IF(Q8="Time Adj.",AH8,"")

to Explain, cell Q8 has a drop down, cell W8 is where I want the time, cell AH8 is where you would manually add the time time if selecting "Time Adj." in the drop down of cell Q8.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
If I'm following correctly, then you just need to re-position the last IF in your second formula

=IF(Q8="Started",IF(W8="",NOW(),W8),IF(Q8="Time Adj.",AH8,""))

Upvote 0
Jason, Thank you very much. I've exhausted every option I could. So this was all I had to do? I really appreciate your help and has saved me a lot of time. If you could, what's the logic behind your way and what did I go wrong with mine?

Upvote 0
The way you had written the formula, there was an error in the syntax so excel would give you a 'There is a problem with this formula' pop up when you tried to enter it.

It looks as if you tried to add the new IF() to the end of the existing formula, when you actually need to drop it inside the formula. This would always be the correct method for joining formulas together (nesting) unless you are trying to perform a simple calculation such as =IF(...)+IF(...) or join text together with =IF(...)&" "&IF(...)

Your original formula created the iterative timestamp when the criteria of "Started" was met and left the cell blank when it wasn't. The additional logic that I used was to replace that blank with the new criteriaof "Time adj.", if that criteria is met then show the manual time, otherwise show blank.

Upvote 0
Excellent thank you for that information.
"Your original formula created the iterative timestamp when the criteria of "Started" was met and left the cell blank when it wasn't. The additional logic that I used was to replace that blank with the new criteriaof "Time adj.", if that criteria is met then show the manual time, otherwise show blank."
That was exactly what I thought would work, simply replace the empty "" for the false and replace it with the "Time Adj.", apparently I was missing the thought process.

Thank you again for all your help, much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAT RG

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back