Adding attachments to an excel workbook

fparker61

All,

I have an excel workbook that has one page as a data input form with ActiveX controls. It has a send button that emails the workbook as an attachment to the email.

What I want to have the end user do is to attach files to the excel workbook but I don't want to give them any access to individual cells or make it complicated for them. I also don't want to pop the Outlook window and have them add the attachments there. I just wan them to be able to select files for attaching to the workbook that would then be emailed to me.

One thought I had was to add a button to pop a file selection dialog and store the path/name of each file to attach and when the send mail button is pressed to scoop those up along the way. Is this viable or is there a better way to do this?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Thanks for your support. Any thoughts on saving the path/file name prior to emailing? Can I store them in an array or table via a global or use a hidden sheet with a dynamic range? Which might be easier to do? The entire form is driven with VBA.

Upvote 0
How do you know ahead of time where the files are located on their computer ?

Upvote 0
How do you know ahead of time where the files are located on their computer ?
I was going to pop up a file picker dialog and store the path either in a hidden sheet or an array and pick them up when I generate the email.

Upvote 0
Ok on the file picker ... however ... you still won't know where they have placed the files on their computer.

I guess I'm missing something.

What I understand is you will email a pre-coded workbook to someone with instructions to open/run the attached workbook.
That workbook will be precoded to attached files from the other person's computer and email them back to you.

If that is accurate, how will you know if they have the file / s to begin with ? I guess this is the part I really don't understand.
If the other person has a file or files you require, why not just ask them to email the file / s to you via regular email ? Why go
through the extra steps of using an Excel workbook ?

Upvote 0
The workbook will be on sharepoint and when they open it they will fill out the form, pick the files, press a send button which will email it.

Upvote 0
So the files they will pick to send back are on Sharepoint as well ?

Upvote 0
No, they are their own local files. It is a change request form or a new issue form. The attachments are supporting documentation they may have. We will be moving to Office 365 at some point and then I can combine PowerApps with what we are doing. I made it so easy for them to fill out and email. It doesn't even look like Excel anymore. The attachments are the only thing I needed to add.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back