adding comments to dynamic charts

SamS

I have a spreadsheet which uses array formulas to creat dynamic charts ie I have a drop down list box from which to select a title and the correct graph is displayed. The problem is I would like to add comments preferably next to the data and have it displayed on the graph, is this possible. I have no idea where even to start on this.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Thanks Paddy, I once before tried the Chart Labler but unfortunatley the organisation I work for has admin rights (NT4) locked on just about everything and they didn't approve the above to be loaded so I have to try work arounds all the time. What I have is a Staff Establishent Database and using an array formula eg =IF(INDEX(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($C$5,DEPTS,3,FALSE)),2,0)=0,NA(),INDEX(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($C$5,DEPTS,3,FALSE)),2,0)) I use a combo box (from the Forms toolbar) to select a specific department which then updates a graph. This way I only need the one graph and can select any of 30 depts to view.

My problem is that several restructuring processes have taken place some minor some major and I need to be able to make comments on the graphs at specific points or at least when the appropriate graph is displayed. As the graph is dynamic ie it only exists when a selection is made I have no idea on how to make this happen.

PS: The formula most probably could also be tidied up but it can wait.

PPS: I would like to use Colo's HTML file maker but the above reasons apply which causes me no manner of angst.

Upvote 0
Sam,

'simple' method would be something like the following:

add a text box to the chart. select the box, then in the formula bar make it's contents

=C1

then stick a formula in C1 that picked up the appropriate comments from another cell

paddy

Upvote 0
Paddy now that you have mentioned it, it is too simple :oops: As you said I will point a text box at a cell with it's own array formula in it to pick the respective comment. Either getting old or it's been a long year (I'm hoping it's the latter).

Many thanks for your help :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back