Adding formula to multiple cells

kshora

Board Regular
Hi

I have a large work sheet with existing data. How can I add a formula to all the data (cells with data) at one time. Entering the formula one cell at a time is not possible e.g there are 10 cells with data and I want to add a same formula say multiply all 10 cells by $A$100, so that every time I change A100 cell value, all the corresponding cell value changes

Help is highly appreciated

Thanks and regards

Shora

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi Shora

You can probably manage it with a Find/Replace:

1.Select your cells
2. Press Ctrl+H
3. Type = into the Find What box
4. Type =$A$100* in the Replace With box
5. Hit Replace All

Hope this helps!

Richard

Upvote 0
Hi

But I already have data in these cells, copy and paste will not workk as the data is different in each cell.

Find/Replace does not seem to work as there is no "=" in the cells to replace.

Say I have 28.8 in one cell, 35.2 in another cell, 40.12 in another and so on and I want to multiply them by $A$100 and want to add *$A$100 to all the cells, how do I do that in all the cells at one time

Thanks and regards

Shora

Upvote 0
Shora

There's no easy way if you just have values - but you can type say 100 into another cell, copy the cell, select your range and go Edit>PasteSpecial and click on the multiply box and then click OK.

Richard

Upvote 0
Goo afternoon kshora

Press Alt + F11 and go to Insert > Module, and copy this code into the window that appears :

Code:
Sub test()
For Each UsrCell In Selection
UsrCell.Formula = "=" & UsrCell.Value & "*A100"
Next UsrCell
End Sub

Click the red X in the corner to close. Select all the cells you want to apply the formula to and go to Tools > Macro > Macros and select test from the box and click on Run. You can now delete the macro if you wish.

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0
Richard
Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling that this won't be easy, the problem is that the value to multiply also changes and I have to paste special every time, I have around 2500 cells to work with, please let me know if you come up with a better solution.

Thanks and Regards

Shora

Upvote 0
There's no native way within Excel, but Dominic's shown you one way with VBA.

Another, non-VBA route might be to use an identically sized range that references back to the original so eg on another part of the sheet/on another sheet you have:

=A2*$A$1

and copy across and down as far as your original data requires. That way you can see your original values and also the effect of multiplying by whatever factor you place in A1.

Hope this helps!

Richard

Upvote 0
Hi kshora

Alternatively, you could download John Walkenbachs's PUP add-in : it is shareware so if you're going to keep it you should pay him for it but he has included a tool on here called "Math Without Formulas". You can get a fully working evaluation version from here :

http://j-walk.com/ss/pup/pup6/index.htm

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back