Adding Formulas onto existing formulas using VBA

Akolas

I want to be able to add additional parts of a string onto an already existing formula in a cell, but it's throwing me an error. I'm trying to get something like this to work:
Code:
Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula = Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula & "Additional string"

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Try:

Rich (BB code):
Range("A1").Formula = Range("A1").Formula & "&string"

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, Mr. Rothstein, but that didn't quite do the trick either. As far as I can tell, I can't mix variables and fixed strings. I did find a work around though: if I construct my string and save it as something else, and then call it, then it's work properly.
Code:
formulastring = Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula & "Additional String"
Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula = formulastring

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, Mr. Rothstein, but that didn't quite do the trick either. As far as I can tell, I can't mix variables and fixed strings. I did find a work around though: if I construct my string and save it as something else, and then call it, then it's work properly.
Code:
formulastring = Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula & "Additional String"
Perhaps if you show us the "additional string", that might help. We all took it to mean a string constant, but you seem to be saying it is something else. Also, why are you using...

Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y))

Since both arguments to the Range property are the same cell reference, you can just use the cell reference directly instead...

Cells(x, y)

Upvote 0
I was using a range because I couldn't get .formula to work with just the Cells(x, y), but I could with the range. I have no idea why. My full code is a little more involved, and I was just trying to simplify down to the issue at hand. Here's the full snippet of code that's erroring, even though it's a small part of the full code:

Code:
For i = startrow To 500
    If Cells(i, 4).Value <> Cells(i + 1, 4) Then
        Range(Cells(z, 1), Cells(i, 9)).name = "_" & Replace(Replace(Cells(z, 4).Value, " ", ""), "-", "")
        name = "_" & Replace(Replace(Cells(z, 4).Value, " ", ""), "-", "")
        z = i + 1
        Sheets("Time to Fill Data 2").Activate
        For x = 2 To 500
            For y = 11 To 19
                formulastring = Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula & "IF('Time to Fill Data 2'!Y5=" & counter & _
                ", INDEX(" & name & ", " & Cells(x, 19) & ", " & Cells(2, y + 9) & "), "
            Next y
        Next x
        counter = counter + 1
    End If
Next i

Upvote 0
I think I found the main problem. If a cells().function isn't complete (like what I'm doing when I'm building it), it errors in VBA. I was hoping it would just insert the text and then execute the function at the end of the macro, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Upvote 0
I was using a range because I couldn't get .formula to work with just the Cells(x, y), but I could with the range. I have no idea why.
Trust me when I tell you that this...

Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula

is exactly equivalent to this...

Cells(x, y).Formula

and it will work fine, so I am not sure why you say it wouldn't work for you. Were you, perhaps, noticing that Cells(x,y) does not provide an intellisense listing of properties and methods like Range does? I don't know why that is so, but if you type .Formula after it, it will work correctly.

Akolas;4195956My full code is a little more involved said:
Usually that is a bad idea as the real problem may be hidden by your simplification.

Here's the full snippet of code that's erroring, even though it's a small part of the full code:

Code:
formulastring = Range(Cells(x, y), Cells(x, y)).Formula & "IF('Time to Fill Data 2'!Y5=" & counter & _
                ", INDEX(" & name & ", " & Cells(x, 19) & ", " & Cells(2, y + 9) & "), "
[/QUOTE]
The formula produced from what you posted above will not work once placed in the cell because the IF function you are adding is not properly formed... your formula ends with a comma and the IF function is not closed off with its own closing parenthesis. There may be other problems with the formula, but I cannot tell without knowing what is in the cell and variables referenced in it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back