Adding hh:mm:ss in VBA

tomhoneyfield

Hi,

I'm currently writing an automated process that opens up a productivity report (xls) and has to add together a bunch of different times to work out a total.

Now, when I try to add together the values from individual cells, rather than adding together the raw value within the cell, I get a concatenated result like the following;

The cell in column "O" = "00:05:50"
The cell in column "Q" = "00:03:04"

myVar = wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("O" & raRow).Value + _
wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("Q" & raRow).Value

MsgBox myVar

Result = "00:05:5000:03:04"

It could be important to note that the information sits in cells that are formatted general. Also O and Q are merged with the cell immediately to their right. I don't know if this has any impact.

Interestingly, without changing any formatting of any cells, if I set the formula of a random general formatted cell to;

"=O25+Q25" (as an example)

Result = 0.006180556 - which then when formatted to hh:mm:ss translates to "00:08:54" - Hey presto! That's what we want.

Now it's a bit ridiculous but to get around this in my macro, I coded up like the following;

wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("Z" & raRow).Formula = "=O" & raRow & "+Q" & raRow
myVar = wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("Z" & raRow).Value

MsgBox Format(myVar, "HH:MM:SS")

Result = "00:08:54" - Bob's your uncle (he's not)

I suppose my question is, does anyone know a much easier way to add this data type together in VBA without having to write formula on the fly? It doesn't really matter because I have a working macro, but I just have a feeling that there's a much easier way to approach this that I'm over looking without having to use so much code.

Thanks,

Tom

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
The reason for this result is that the cells with time values are actually TEXT strings (and are not actual time values).
Although it says General it is stored as TEXT data.
Easiest way to check for string that look as values is to clear the Font alignment. Text is Left Aligned, Numbers - Right.
You can use this:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]myVar = Timevalue(wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("O" & raRow).Value) + _[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Timevalue(wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("Q" & raRow).Value)[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
The reason for this result is that the cells with time values are actually TEXT strings (and are not actual time values).
Although it says General it is stored as TEXT data.
Easiest way to check for string that look as values is to clear the Font alignment. Text is Left Aligned, Numbers - Right.
You can use this:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]myVar = Timevalue(wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("O" & raRow).Value) + _[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Timevalue(wbInb.Sheets("Inbound SLA").Range("Q" & raRow).Value)[/COLOR]

I can't believe I didn't think of TimeValue to be honest, I was just using DateValue the other day as well. Thanks for that.

Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back