Adding negative times

JRP1218

Working on a spreadsheet to calculate on-time performance. I have a set time for a daily arrival and cells for the actual arrival each day.

EXAMPLE:

A BC DE F G H I JKL M

<tbody>
</tbody>
SCHEDULED PICKUP TIMEMONDAYMINUTES LATE/EARLYTUESDAYMINUTES LATE/EARLYWEDNESDAYMINUTES LATE/EARLYTHURSDAYMINUTES LATE/EARLYFRIDAYMINUTES LATE/EARLYWEEK PERCENTAGE LATE/EARLYWEEKLY ONTIME PERFORMANCE

<tbody>
</tbody>
7:30:00 AM8:00:00 AM-00:308:00:00 AM-00:308:00:00 AM-00:308:00:00 AM-00:308:00:00 AM-00:300:00100.00%

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula i'm using to calculate the "Minutes Late/Early" for each day is =IF(B4-C4<0, "-" & TEXT(ABS(B4-C4),"hh:mm"), B4-C4) My issue is adding the negative times in Column "L".

Any ideas so it will add the negative times and display a negative percentage?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Doesn't help. Not all number I am adding are negative. Is there a way to convert the (- time) to a number so it can be added?

Upvote 0
Negative Times actually do retain their negative values just fine for use in math operations.
The issue is that the cell cannot be FORMATTED as a time, it shows as ########.
But the actual value is still there.

I would suggest using a helper row
1 row that has the real numeric value of the times <- you can even hide this row
and a 2nd row to use a formula that converts them to a text value with the - to show negative.

Any math operations you need to do with these time values, use the 1st row.
The 2nd row is for Display.

Upvote 0
I think you can avoid the helper row. Where your results have to display the negative time just can't be used to source values for the final % calculation.

Upvote 0
Ok, I figured this one out. Now I have another issue. I have to take the time difference sum and if it is within 15 min + or - the original window return a "0" in the cellif it is more that 15 minutes it returns the results. the formula i'm trying to use is =IF(AND(B8-C8>=0.25,B8-C8<0),0,B8-C8) where B8 is the fixed window time and C8 is the actual Arrival time. This formula returns the results of B8-C8 no matter what arrival time is entered. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I think you can use MROUND, but the multiple has to be the serial number value for 15 minutes, which is 0.0104166666666667

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back