Adding Quarter to Date using SUM, OFFSET, and MATCH formulas

Mariner

Hi,

This should just be an expansion of my YTD calc which is +SUM(OFFSET($AZ8,0,0,1,MATCH(MONTH($LQ$2),$AZ4:$BK4,0))) where AZ8 is January Sales, LQ2 is current month, and AZ4:BK4 is the twelve month array of month numbers, one through twelve. Currently, I have Jan thru March populated. Once April comes in, the width of the offset will expand from 3 columns (Jan - Mar) to 4 (Jan - Apr) and I will then cum four data points.

What I want to do for QTD is sum sales for any given quarter, (e.g., Apr would sum Apr only, May = sum April - May, June = sum Apr - Jun, July = sum Jul only, etc.). Almost have this but need to adjust my reference cell.

I have a 5x12 array with date (1/31/20, 2/29/20, 3/31/20, …), month (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12), quarter (1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4), and width of columns that I want summed (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3), and then the corresponding monthly sales figures.

I figured I would mimic the YTD formula above and change my width reference from the month number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) to the columns I want summed (1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3). Now I need to change the reference cell from January Sales (AZ8) to sales in either of January, April, July, or September depending on the corresponding quarter. Getting bogged down with INDEX and MATCH logic and was hoping someone had a quick fix. Not interested in running a pivot table or using a macro.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Any reason behind the choice of functions for your formulas? There are alternatives that would be far more efficient.

Month formula

=SUMIFS($AZ8:$BK8,$AZ4:$BK4,"<="&MONTH($LQ$2))

QTR formula

=SUMIFS($AZ8:$BK8,$AZ4:$BK4,"<="&MONTH($LQ$2),$AZ4:$BK4,">"&FLOOR(MONTH($LQ$2)-1,3))

Upvote 0
No, wasn't thinking SUMIFS. Much better, agreed. And never used FLOOR before. Mind blown. Outstanding! TY, Jason!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back