Adding ROW function in VBA that can get data from Access

Skinny1434

Hello all, sorry if this topic has been discussed before, this is my first post on the forum. I am very novice with VBA, and currently I am stuck on a certain problem. I have a ton of data, that is currently stored in Access, it used to be stored in Excel but it made the workbook run very slow. I have a table in access that has many different values for the same customer name. i.e.

Customer A 2000
Customer A 5000
Customer A 1000

Before I switched the data over to Access, I used a INDEX>ROW function that gave me all the values related to Customer A. What I am wondering now, is if there is a way to do the same with an access table. I currently have a connection to the Access table, and I am using a DBVlookup, however, I need to be able to return more than one value. Any help would be great!!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Welcome to the Forum,

I would suggest that you set up a query in Access that will return the data you want and then add a DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet which will then place the data into a spreadsheet for you.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the Reply Trevor, that would be the easy solution, unfortunatley, I have a template built into Excel, which has a series of drop downs, I want the user to be able to open up excel, click in the drop down, bring up a customer and then have all their accounts show up. I dont want to have to have a user go into Access and run a query. Therfore I was thinking of just having the VBA do all the work. Do you follow?

Upvote 0
Yes I follow no problems,

The following example I use to select a department from a drop down in Excel it then goes to a database uses a query and brings back all the relevant data. So a standard query has to be made, but the users only use the excel workbook. In the screen below D3 is a validation list which they select from.

Sample of spreadsheet.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJ
1Run Access Query into Excel
3Which DepartmentShipping
4Count112
6TitleFirstnameLastnameJobTitleBirthDateGenderOfficeDepartmentEmailSalary
7MissCordeliaThreiplandShipping Assistant22 Oct 1954FNew YorkShippingcordelia.threipland@fontstuff.com25000
8MissMichelleHeumanStock Controller21 May 1956FIndianapolisShippingmichelle.heuman@fontstuff.com26000
9MsSarahHislopRegional Shipping Manager18 Oct 1970FLondonShippingsarah.hislop@fontstuff.com26000
10MrRichardBrierleyShipping Assistant07 Mar 1973MLondonShippingrichard.brierley@fontstuff.com25000
11MissKateButlandShipping Assistant25 Mar 1976FBrusselsShippingkate.butland@fontstuff.com25000
12MrsSamanthaHillShipping Assistant23 Mar 1968FCardiffShippingsamantha.hill@fontstuff.com25000
13MissRebeccaJacksonRegional Shipping Manager12 Dec 1971FManchesterShippingrebecca.jackson@fontstuff.com25000
14MrJamesGledhillRegional Shipping Manager27 Feb 1949MParisShippingjames.gledhill@fontstuff.com25000
15DrAnnetteRawlenceSecretary24 Sep 1953FBerkeleyShippingannette.rawlence@fontstuff.com26000
16MissNatashaHiromShipping Assistant13 Apr 1963FSeattleShippingnatasha.hirom@fontstuff.com26000
Sheet1
#VALUE!
Sample Code in the workbook

Sub RunParameterQuery()

'Step 1: Declare your variables
Dim MyDatabase As DAO.Database
Dim MyQueryDef As DAO.QueryDef
Dim MyRecordset As DAO.Recordset
Dim i As Integer

'Step 2: Identify the database and query
Set MyDatabase = DBEngine.OpenDatabase("M:\Access Files\Test ME Today.mdb")
Set MyQueryDef = MyDatabase.QueryDefs("qryGoToExcel") 'Query name in the database

'Step 3: Define the Parameters
With MyQueryDef
.Parameters("[Enter Department]") = Range("D3").Value 'From parameter field in access

End With

'Step 4: Open the query
Set MyRecordset = MyQueryDef.OpenRecordset

'Step 5: Clear previous contents
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
ActiveSheet.Range("A6:K10000").ClearContents

'Step 6: Copy the recordset to Excel
ActiveSheet.Range("A7").CopyFromRecordset MyRecordset

'Step 7: Add column heading names to the spreadsheet
For i = 1 To MyRecordset.Fields.Count
ActiveSheet.Cells(6, i).Value = MyRecordset.Fields(i - 1).Name
Next i
Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit

MsgBox "Query has been successful", vbInformation, "Sample"

End Sub

Upvote 0
Pleased to read you have a solution you can work with,

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Upvote 0
Question, is there a way to make copies of this for other tabs, and make it possible to select different customers for each tab? The way it is set up now doesnt allow for that to happen. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Set the data to use a Pivot Table, you can then use the Page Option to split the data down to individual sheets and they will have there own Pivot table.

Upvote 0
Not to sound like a noob, I know what a pivot table is but I have never used one, how would I go about doing that?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back