Adding spaces and parentheses to an entire column of numbers at one time/mail merge

tarsenul

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am working on a mail merge and haven't done many of them but I am sending letters to customers and I have an excel spreadsheet with the customer's name and customer number each in their own columns and when I set up the greeting line which I want to say "XYZ company (customer number) it's lumping it all together and it looks awful. So, I figured if I added a couple of spaces before the customer number and put parentheses around it, then it won't look so jumbled but I am not sure how to add spaces and parentheses to a group of cells. Is there a way to do that without having to do it manually? Or is there a better way that I am just not familiar with?

I did use the Trim formula to take the spaces out of the customer name field because the name lengths were inconsistent and that looked odd too.

Example of cells
402050-3xyz business
402484-1xyz business
402543-85xyz business
403306-1xyz business
403625-1xyz business
403646-1xyz business
404409-1xyz business
404766-1xyz business

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2486" width=68><COL style="WIDTH: 151pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7350" width=201><TBODY>
</TBODY>

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi,

I am working on a mail merge and haven't done many of them but I am sending letters to customers and I have an excel spreadsheet with the customer's name and customer number each in their own columns and when I set up the greeting line which I want to say "XYZ company (customer number) it's lumping it all together and it looks awful. So, I figured if I added a couple of spaces before the customer number and put parentheses around it, then it won't look so jumbled but I am not sure how to add spaces and parentheses to a group of cells. Is there a way to do that without having to do it manually? Or is there a better way that I am just not familiar with?

I did use the Trim formula to take the spaces out of the customer name field because the name lengths were inconsistent and that looked odd too.

Example of cells
402050-3
xyz business
402484-1
xyz business
402543-85
xyz business
403306-1
xyz business
403625-1
xyz business
403646-1
xyz business
404409-1
xyz business
404766-1
xyz business

<tbody>
</tbody>

Just add an extra column and point your mail merge field at that one.

In there, do something like
Code:
 ="(  " & A2 & "  )"
and drag it down.

Upvote 0
Thank you!!!! I knew it was something pretty simple, but couldn't get it! Have a great day!

Just add an extra column and point your mail merge field at that one.

In there, do something like
Code:
 ="(  " & A2 & "  )"
and drag it down.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back