Adding & Subtracting Times in hh:mm:ss & [hh]:mm:ss format

Coach3131

Board Regular
In one column, I have 03:12:00 in hh:mm:ss format... in the next column, I have 32:00:00 in [hh]:mm:ss format.... when I add them together instead of getting 35:12:00, I am getting 587:12:00.

Basically, I am trying to add formulas to substract out weekend hours (Friday after 5, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday until 8) for a time ticket.... in the example above, the ticket was submitted Saturday night with 3:12:00 to go in the day.... I want to add 32 hours to that time to get the total time to deduct off the response time of a ticket

The total time is in the [hh]:mm:ss format... so it reads 62:48:00 in this example... I want to then subtract 35:12:00 fromt it and come up with 27:36:00

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi Coach3131

In your post you talk a lot about formats and I'm afraid you are confusing formats and values. Excel uses the values of the cells to perform the operation. Formats are just aesthetics.

My guess is that in the cell that displays 3:10:00 you have 23 days and 3:10:00.

Format the first cell also with [h]:mm:ss to see the total value. I guess it will display 555:10:00, which is 23 days 3 hours and 10 minutes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back