Adding text to a cell text entry using Format Number?

Maike13

I have a column of cells that contain a single text character (A-Z). Some of these entries have a special significance and I want to identify them with an asterisk (eg: A*). However formulas in many other cells reference cells in this column and just typing in an asterisk causes these formulas to fail. I thought I would be able to create a custom number format for the cells General"*" to give me A* (for example) but apparently this only works on numbers (12345 in a cell does become 12345* when formatted to General"*"). I guess this makes sense since it is titled Format Numbers. Is there any way to do this with text or will I have to go through all the formulas on my sheet and alter them to allow for there possibly being an asterisk typed in the cell?

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
If I understand correctly, you only want certain letters to have an asterisk, not every letter, is that right? If so, you can use Conditional Formatting for those letters. Select the cell or cells you want to have this functionality and, if more than one cell is selected, note which is the active cell. Let's say the cell or active cell is A1. Use this Conditional Formatting formula...

=OR(A1="D",A1="M",A1="Q")

where I have assumed the letters you want to have an asterisk are D, M and Q (change as needed). Now, with the Conditional Formatting dialog box open, click the Format button, choose the Number tab, select Custom from the list and put this in the Type field...

@"*"

then OK your way back to the worksheet. You are done... test the cell or cells to see that it works as intended.

Upvote 0
Rick, that format will put an asterisk after anything that is entered in the cell.
It is not a normal cell format that I am suggesting... it is the format to be used with the Conditional Formatting formula I posted above it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I realized that, already deleted the post. Sorry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I understand correctly, you only want certain letters to have an asterisk, not every letter, is that right? If so, you can use Conditional Formatting for those letters. Select the cell or cells you want to have this functionality and, if more than one cell is selected, note which is the active cell. Let's say the cell or active cell is A1. Use this Conditional Formatting formula...

=OR(A1="D",A1="M",A1="Q")

where I have assumed the letters you want to have an asterisk are D, M and Q (change as needed). Now, with the Conditional Formatting dialog box open, click the Format button, choose the Number tab, select Custom from the list and put this in the Type field...

@"*"

then OK your way back to the worksheet. You are done... test the cell or cells to see that it works as intended.

Actually the @"*" by itself does all that I need, as it's only certain instances of a letter that need the asterisk (ie. some As, some Bs etc.). Thanks so much for the reply. I was afraid I was going to have to spend hours changing all my formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back