ADO %, * Wild Card confusion

PTP86

Board Regular
Hi

I've found the workaround for this issue, but don't understand why it was an issue:

I did all the hard work of writing the queries in Access and some of the queries involve sub-queries
e.g. Pretend I wanted queries that prepared data on Goals, Assists, Wages, Corners
So inside Access, the queries that contain my final results of these are called Goals_Qry3, Assists_Qry2, Wages_Qry5, Corners_Qry1

On a spreadsheet I have the queries listed and use VBA to tell it to loop through the queries and import the results to the spreadsheet
On each loop it executes the following code:

(Note: QueryName is of course the argument telling it which query to deal with in this iteration of the loop)

Code:
Dim RS as ADODB.Recordset
Dim strSQL as String

Set RS = New ADODB.Recordset
strSQL = "SELECT ["
strSQL = strSQL & QueryName & "]"
strSQL = strSQL & ".* FROM ["
strSQL = strSQL & QueryName & "];"

RS.Open strSQL, Conn, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

i.e the query that I have written the SQL for in Excel VBA is a straightforward select all

Pretend Corners_Qry1 was written to only look at Manchester City and Manchester Utd for some reason.
In Access the query was written with the criteria of Like "Manchester *"

When Excel VBA loops through the queries, it is returning no records for Corners_Qry1 but is returning records for all of the others.

On various forums I've seen the comment that % is the wildcard for ADO and not * and that's been the solution to peoples problem
My problem is solved if I go into Access and change Corners_Qry1 criteria to say "Manchester Utd" or "Manchester City" instead

The Question
Why was the use of Like "Manchester *" a problem when I haven't actually written that query in Excel VBA. The query I've written in Excel VBA is a straightforward select all

Plus

That "straightforward select all" does feature a * wildcard and it works for every query. So why do people say that "*" is a problem?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
The * in your Select query is not a wildcard - it's the shorthand for all fields. That's a totally different thing.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory :) That's answered the 2nd question

Still wondering if someone can explain why I was having this issue with Corners_Qry1 when the SQL for that wasn't written in Excel VBA. The only SQL written in Excel VBA and having to be passed by ADO was a select all query.

Upvote 0
The SQL is still being executed by the OLEDB provider, not by the Access application, so it needs ANSI SQL syntax.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiz11713

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back