Advanced filter is messing with data

Pauline V.

Help!

I have two workbooks. One contains a list of data (values), the other one does the calculations. I copy data from the list to the other workbook, using an advanced filter. However, the advanced filter somehow changes my data! It changes the numbers, eventhough there is no formula or anything in the list! Is this just a funny Excel thing??? :confused:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Pauline

That's a bit vague.:)

I think we need more information to help you.

Upvote 0
And that is my entire problem! I have never experienced something as vague. When I use the advanced filter to filter the list in place everything is fine. However when I use the copy to other location option is when this strange thing occurs.

I can not post the entire spreadsheet as it contains 103 columns and over 30000 lines.

The sheet is part of a forecasting tool. The columns where data appears or disappears when I use the filter are input columns, not all cells contain a value. The columns in which data is being changed when I apply the filter are next to these input columns.
There are no formulas in this workbook but all the numbers are based on formulas, and calculations which are done in another workbook.

It is so strange, I don't even know how to proparly explain what happens!

Is there perhaps a limit to the number of columns and lines you can succesfully apply an advanced filter to? As far as I can see now, these changes only happen in the last columns of my list.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Advanced Filter to another location should not alter the original data at all.

This link shows steps for advanced filtering:
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

Filtering data with more than 1,000 unique items could be your propblem. AutoFilter only references the first 1,000 unique items.

Upvote 0
Yes must be the over 1,000 rule then. Will have to think of another way of extracting the data.

Thanks,
Pauline

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back