advanced filter with text and numbers, wront output in column data

mrpeter

Hi all
I have searched far and wide for a solution to this, and i think i'm out of my level of expertise now, so here goes:

I have a doc with 3 worksheets. Worksheet 1 needs to pull data from a master data worksheet in #3. In order to do this i've been using advanced filter and copy to location to bring the correct output to worksheet 2. So, worksheet 1 has some formulas that pull information from the filter output in worksheet 2. This is because my master data in worksheet 3 has 490 rows of data, with columns ranging from 'A' to 'AA'.
The data in worksheet 3 has a mix of text and numbers, as it is model names and numbers along with their measurements. Everything has been working fine until i noticed that the data output from the filter (in worksheet 2), has som duplicate values instead of different values. It usually goes: (where each [..] indicates a cell)

[CUSTOMER SPECIFIC MODEL NAME] [MODEL TEXT] [MODEL NR] [PART NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [PART NR2] [NR2] [NR2] [NR2] [NR2] [NR2]

I am filtering based on the customer model name and model nr (as some model nr's are under different customer model names), and outputting this information to worksheet 2. Now i've noticed that instead of putting the correct information for part nr2 (NR2, NR2, NR2, etc), it just places part nr1's data after part nr2, like this:

[CUSTOMER SPECIFIC MODEL NAME] [MODEL TEXT] [MODEL NR] [PART NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [PART NR2] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1] [NR1]

So, my problem is that i'm getting the wrong output to be used in worksheet1. This gives incorrect data to my formulas there. Part NR1 is usually a number, and Part NR2 is usually text. I sense the problem being that Part NR2 is text, and this gives an error somewhere. I want to use the filter because i have to create a separate document for each of the 490 rows of data, but it is convenient to have a master data worksheet behind each document.

I appreciate all suggestions.

On a side note, I am not using any macro or vba, as I have not learned to do so yet. My programming skills are still in the beginner stage, but i would understand it for the most part if anyone suggested a specific code to use.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I have managed to solve this myself, just had to re-word my search a little more abstractly. Apparently one cannot have multiple headers with the same name when doing a filter. This was my problem, as the headers were height, width, etc, etc.

In case anyone with the same problem needs a solution, here is mine: Fixed column headers to e.g. NR1.height, NR1.width, NR2.height, NR2.width, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back