Advanced Filter

carddard

Hi guys,

I'm using advanced filter and allow me to give you an example of my problem:
One of the criteria is for e.g. "CL". That means I only want those with "CL". However, those with "CLS", "CLABC", "CLAM" are also picked up. I only want those with exactly "CL".

Anybody can help?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
If I understand correctly then you are trying to filter the records which only have "CL" as its value ?

If so then you can write an IF() condition and do a filter on the results of the IF() condition.

Upvote 0
Hi. I think you've misunderstood my question.
I am using advanced filter and "CL" is only one of the criteria.
Because normal autofilter cannot achieve what I want, I am using advanced filter.
Isn't advanced filter supposed to give me exactly what I want?
Why is it picking up those with "CL" in them and not those with exactly "CL"?

Upvote 0
Can you post an example please ? Perhaps, the example will give a clear picture of what you are trying to do ?

Upvote 0
If just ran an advanced filter with your criteria, at least if I understand correctly, and came up with this.

Chech copy to another location

List Range: $I$13:$K$15
Criteria Range: $L$13:$L$14
Copy to: $M$13

Check unique records only

Sheet222

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 89px"><COL style="WIDTH: 89px"><COL style="WIDTH: 89px"><COL style="WIDTH: 91px"><COL style="WIDTH: 89px"><COL style="WIDTH: 89px"><COL style="WIDTH: 89px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>I</TD><TD>J</TD><TD>K</TD><TD>L</TD><TD>M</TD><TD>N</TD><TD>O</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">13</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Account</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Line#</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Comments</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Account</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Account</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Line#</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c0c0c0; TEXT-ALIGN: center">Comments</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">14</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">C</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">345</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">big</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">CL</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">CL</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">346</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">fun</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">15</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">CL</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">346</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">fun</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">16</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">CLA</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">324</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-ALIGN: center">do</TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Hi carddard

Why is it picking up those with "CL" in them and not those with exactly "CL"?

That's the way the Advanced Filter works. It will give you anything starting with "CL".

For an exact match use in the criteria:

="=CL"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back