Advanced Pivot Table - Multiple Value Search

Keeper4826

I don’t know how to create effective pivot tables. I have a very large table and I need to identify totals for various groups.

Rules:
  • A person with multiple certifications for a category only counts as one. E.g., A person with two CAT 3 certifications only counts as one).
  • A person will be counted at the highest category level only. E.g., A person with CAT 2 and CAT 3 certifications will only be recorded as CAT 2 (the higher of the two certs).

The first table needs to show totals across the board but cannot include duplicates (personnel with multiple certifications in the same category, or certifications in a lower category - e.g. CAT 1 certified cannot be double counted in the CAT 2 certified numbers). I want it to show the categories in the first column, totals the second column, and in the third column totals only for those who have a “Yes” in the Mission column.

CategoryTotalMission
CAT 154
CAT 2107
CAT 332

The second table needs to have units in the left column, and six columns with the totals for the first table (CAT 1 – Total, CAT 2 – Total, CAT 3 – Total, CAT 1 – Mission, CAT 2 – Mission, CAT 3 – Mission).

UnitsCAT 1 - TotalCAT 2 - TotalCAT 3 - TotalCAT 1 - MissionCAT 2 - MissionCAT 3 - Mission
Blue040030
Green122111
Red040030
Yellow401301

Here is an example dataset. I have no idea how to create the pivot tables described above.

Test_Pivot Table.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
1NameUnitSchool Name 1School Name 2School Name 3School Name 4School Name 5School Name 6School Name 7School Name 8School Name 9School Name 10School Name 11School Name 12School Name 13School Name 14School Name 15Mission
2Full TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleFull TitleAbsolute TitleFull TitleScope AbsoluteYES/NO
3CAT 1CAT 1CAT 1CAT 1CAT 2CAT 2 & Other 1CAT 2CAT 3 & Other 1CAT 3Other 1Other 2Other 3ABABCD
4Person 1BluexxYes
5Person 2BluexxYes
6Person 3BluexYes
7Person 4BluexNo
8Person 5GreenxxxxxYes
9Person 6GreenxxYes
10Person 7GreenxxxxYes
11Person 8GreenxxxNo
12Person 9GreenxxxxNo
13Person 10RedxYes
14Person 11RedxxYes
15Person 12RedxxxxYes
16Person 13RedxNo
17Person 14YellowxxYes
18Person 15YellowxYes
19Person 16YellowxxYes
20Person 17YellowxYes
21Person 18YellowxNo
Data

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I created a new sheet to try and calculate my totals, which will hopefully make displaying in pivot tables easier.

Test_Pivot Table.xlsx
ABCDEFGH
1NameUnitCAT 1CAT 2CAT 3CAT 1 MissionCAT 2 MissionCAT 3 Mission
2Person 1Blue010010
Formulas
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=IF(OR(Data!C4:F4="x"), 1, 0)
D2D2=IF(AND(C2<1, OR(Data!G4:I4="x")), 1, 0)
E2E2=IF(AND(C2<1, D2<1, OR(Data!J4:K4="x")), 1, 0)
F2F2=IF(AND(C2=1, Data!R4="Yes"), 1, 0)
G2G2=IF(AND(D2=1, Data!R4="Yes"), 1, 0)
H2H2=IF(AND(E2=1, Data!R4="Yes"), 1, 0)

Upvote 0
Here's my first attempt at the pivot table, using the above formula table as my dataset. To my original post, is possible to achieve this without the intermediate step; can I can this using the original raw dataset? I tried playing with groupings but couldn't figure out how to manually group the schools that certify to the same category level.

Test_Pivot Table.xlsx
ABCDEFG
3Row LabelsSum of CAT 1Sum of CAT 2Sum of CAT 3Sum of CAT 1 MissionSum of CAT 2 MissionSum of CAT 3 Mission
4Blue040030
5Green122111
6Red040030
7Yellow401301
8Grand Total5103472
Sheet4

Upvote 0
As I continue to research, it looks like custom groupings in a pivot table is the answer, but I haven't figured out how to create and use those. Also, it looks like I can use a slicer to dynamically display the different subsets I'm looking for. Again, I haven't figured out how to use slicers yet - since I haven't solved custom groupings.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back