After Saving a ".xlms" With VBA as ".xlsx" Excel Still Asks About Save Without Macros

Shiseiji

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I use the code below to save a my .xlsm as a .xlsx file. However when I save the .xlsx file I still receive a warning about macos in the non-macro enabled workbook. Any assistance is appreciated.
VBA Code:
Sub m_SaveWBasXLSX()
'
    With Application
      .ScreenUpdating = False 'True
      .EnableEvents = True 'False
      .DisplayAlerts = False
      .Calculation = xlManual 'xlCalculationAutomatic
    End With ' Application
    '
    Dim ThisWb As Workbook
    '
    Set ThisWb = ActiveWorkbook
    ChDrive "S:"
    ThisWb.SaveAs "S:\AD_Listing_" & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy_hmmAM/PM") & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=51
    ThisWb.Save
    With Application
      .ScreenUpdating = True 'False
      .EnableEvents = True 'False
      .DisplayAlerts = False
      .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic 'xlManual
    End With ' Application

End Sub

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
You can use Application.DisplayAlerts

VBA Code:
  Application.DisplayAlerts = False
  ThisWb.SaveAs "S:\AD_Listing_" & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy_hmmAM/PM") & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=51
  Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Upvote 0
Sorry, I just noticed that you use DisplayAlerts earlier in your code. Where are you getting the message? Because I don't get anything when I use

VBA Code:

Upvote 0
However when I save the .xlsx file I still receive a warning about macos in the non-macro enabled workbook
Why are you trying to do this?
"xlsx" is set aside specifically for Excel files WITHOUT VBA.
There are "xlsm" and "xlsb" extensions are the extensions for Excel files with VBA.

Upvote 0
If you are just trying to save a macro-free copy while keeping the source workbook open, this might work:

VBA Code:
Sub m_SaveWBasXLSX()
    '
    Dim TempPath As String
    Dim ThisWb As Workbook, DestWB As Workbook

TempPath = Environ("TEMP") & "\Temp_" & ThisWb.Name

ThisWb.SaveCopyAs (TempPath)
    Set DestWB = Application.Workbooks.Open(FileName:=TempPath)
    DestWB.SaveAs FileName:="S:\AD_Listing_" & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy_hmmAM/PM") & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=51
    DestWB.Close

Kill TempPath
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Why are you trying to do this?
I use the code save a my .xlsm as a .xlsx file so the file isn't a .xlsm. The users of the file don't need the VBA or need to try and figure out how to manage the security. The file remains open after the save as .xlsx. If I do anything to the file, or a date cell updates, then I need to again save the file with the current .xlsx format. VBA should be a non-issue in the .xlsx file. Yet I receive the warning.

Upvote 0
If you are just trying to save a macro-free copy while keeping the source workbook open, this might work:

VBA Code:
Sub m_SaveWBasXLSX()
    '
    Dim TempPath As String
    Dim ThisWb As Workbook, DestWB As Workbook

TempPath = Environ("TEMP") & "\Temp_" & ThisWb.Name

ThisWb.SaveCopyAs (TempPath)
    Set DestWB = Application.Workbooks.Open(FileName:=TempPath)
    DestWB.SaveAs FileName:="S:\AD_Listing_" & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy_hmmAM/PM") & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=51
    DestWB.Close

Kill TempPath
End Sub
Thanks! If you have a moment, can you explain why forcing the file to save first in a temp location corrects the problem? I used code similar to what I posted for years without this problem.

Thanks!

Ron

Upvote 0
I use the code save a my .xlsm as a .xlsx file so the file isn't a .xlsm. The users of the file don't need the VBA or need to try and figure out how to manage the security. The file remains open after the save as .xlsx. If I do anything to the file, or a date cell updates, then I need to again save the file with the current .xlsx format. VBA should be a non-issue in the .xlsx file. Yet I receive the warning.
Then you either need to strip the VBA out of the the file before saving it, or you have to save a copy of it without the VBA code (like rlv01 shows).

I used code similar to what I posted for years without this problem.
Are you sure this wasn't using the old "xls" extension?
That old extension allowed for VBA, so could be used for workbooks both with and without VBA.

Upvote 0
Thanks! If you have a moment, can you explain why forcing the file to save first in a temp location corrects the problem? I used code similar to what I posted for years without this problem.

Thanks!

Ron
It's not so much the temp location, that's just good housekeeping for a temporary file that will eventually be deleted. Rather the key is making use of the Workbook object 'SaveCopyAs' method so that you can spawn off a macro-free .xlsx version without affecting, or closing the source workbook containing the macro.

Upvote 0
Then you either need to strip the VBA out of the the file before saving it, or you have to save a copy of it without the VBA code (like rlv01 shows).

Are you sure this wasn't using the old "xls" extension?
That old extension allowed for VBA, so could be used for workbooks both with and without VBA.
Yes, this one has been a .xlsx for years. It's in " continuous Improvement" as I try to learn better ways to do things. But I will go back through the versions to see if I simply didn't make a good note on a change.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back