lol.xls

Board Regular
I have a worksheet which calculates the amount of time an employee has been with our company. I currently use datedif, but i am unable to sort properly using this method. Is their a way to change the output using datedif from m,d,yyyy to mm,dd,yyyy? If not, anyone have a vba solution? Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Can you provide an example of your input/output with datedif?

Dates should sort by their "internal" serial number, so the displayed format should make no difference. If you format the cells to "general" format you should see a number such as 40163 (which is Dec 16, 2009 in numeric serial format).

Note: are you sorting on more than one column? Perhaps there is another sort field that is taking precedence?

Upvote 0
I have a worksheet which calculates the amount of time an employee has been with our company. I currently use datedif, but i am unable to sort properly using this method. Is their a way to change the output using datedif from m,d,yyyy to mm,dd,yyyy? If not, anyone have a vba solution? Thanks for the help!
Hi,

Just try this formulae.....

=Today()-Select the joined Date...This will give you the No_Of days...

Dont forget to format the cells...RIght CLick---->Format cells----->Number and Decimal Places is 0...
..Please let me know if this is not working out for you.....

Upvote 0
E3 IS DATE OF HIRE, U1 IS TODAY()
THIS IS THE FORMULA:
PHP:
=IF(X3=0,(DATEDIF(E3,F3,"y")&" years, "&DATEDIF(E3,F3,"ym")&" months, "&DATEDIF(E3,F3,"md")&" days"),(DATEDIF(E3,$U$1,"y")&" years, "&DATEDIF(E3,$U$1,"ym")&" months, "&DATEDIF(E3,$U$1,"md")&" days"))

WHICH OUTPUTS:
0 YEARS, 1 MONTH, 2 DAYS

WHEN I SORT THE COLUMN WHICH CONTAINS THE TIME WITH OUR COMPANY SOMEONE WITH 11YEARS IS SORTED BENEATH SOMEONE WITH 2YEARS WITH OUR COMPANY.

Upvote 0
I just seems the most appropiate way to see how long our employees have been with our company.

John smith 2 years, 6 months, 22 days

Upvote 0
can you provide an example of your input/output with datedif?

Dates should sort by their "internal" serial number, so the displayed format should make no difference. If you format the cells to "general" format you should see a number such as 40163 (which is dec 16, 2009 in numeric serial format).

Note: Are you sorting on more than one column? Perhaps there is another sort field that is taking precedence?

no, just one column

Upvote 0
Why not first allow a column to calculate the number of days. Sort on that column using the RANK function. Adjacent to the sorted column is the column that formats the number of days into years, months and days.

Upvote 0
Try:
=IF(X3=0,(TEXT(DATEDIF(E3,F3,"y"),"##")&" years, "&TEXT(DATEDIF(E3,F3,"ym"),"##")&" months, "&TEXT(DATEDIF(E3,F3,"md"),"###")&" days"),(TEXT(DATEDIF(E3,$U$1,"y"),"##")&" years, "&TEXT(DATEDIF(E3,$U$1,"ym"),"##")&" months, "&TEXT(DATEDIF(E3,$U$1,"md"),"###")&" days"))

assumes no one works more than 99 years with your company!

EDIT: Note, Prefer Excelestial's idea (but do we need RANK() ... just sort by number of days ? ...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Edit to my Text() format -

For the years and months, use:
00 instead of ##

and for the days use:
000 instead of ###

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back