Aggregation performance

Koxeida

Board Regular
Hi all,

I have multiple csv files that adds up to about 30gb of data and I'm building a data model on Power BI. Basically appended all the fact files and cleaned up the dimension tables on power query and the loading time is alright. The end result is that I have a BI file that is around 2gb in size which is extremely huge to share around.

So I consider splitting up the data into multiple aggregated tables but I'm encountering a big performance issue when it comes to aggregating the data itself. I've tried using "Group by" function on Power Query to consider only the higher level of hierarchy from different dimension tables, but the data query would not seem to stop (after letting it run for a couple of hours).

Just for more context
My fact table contains 3 primary keys (1 geographic key, 1 product key and 1 time key) with 3 value columns.
In an attempt to aggregate product data at a higher hierarchy, I'm merging the fact table with product dimension table and expanded for 3 new columns.
Using Group by, I've selected the 2 other keys and 3 new columns and do "sum" for the 3 value columns.
The Query refresh performance is extremely slow (it seems to re-run the same dataset multiple times)

Is there another way to aggregate data? My goal is to have multiple aggregated data so that the BI files are kept at reasonable sizes

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back