align data with similar data

sdedman

I have two columns of data, each tied to the accounts they were recorded in. (Four columns total.) The first data set (the budget) is aligned with all numbers in our chart of accounts (400, 401, 402, 403, etc., through 499). The second set of data has numbers in only some of those accounts (409, 417, 463, etc.), in other words, only those accounts where expenses have occurred. I want to align the second set of data (expenses) with their proper budget lines, so that the 401 expenses line up with the 401 budget line, etc. When this function is complete, I will have 4 columns: Column A is the complete chart of accounts (400, 401, 402, 403, etc.). Column B is the budget for those accounts. Column C is the accounts which have actually been used (409, 417, 463, etc.), now lined up on the same lines with their proper accounts, not all grouped at the top of the sheet beside 400, 401, etc. The fourth column will be the expenses which occurred in the accounts which were actually used. These expenses have shifted downward on the sheet, still tied to their proper account numbers.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
sounds like vlookup is what you need (though I could be wrong - often am!) check it out in te help files do a search here for plenty of examples. If you don't think it's right / need more help etc, then post back with more info on your problem - where your data is on the various sheets etc..

Paddy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back