Aligning Text in Comments

XLML

Is there any way to left align text (3 columns) separated by spaces?

Thanks in advance,
XLML

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Not sure I'm following you. Do you mean you have column a, b and c, and you want to align the text that is in each. Then, just format, cells, alignment, left.

Or, do you mean you want text that is in colm. a, separated into colms. a, b. and c. Then, Data, text to columns, deliminted, choose space.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

I would like to manipulate all comments in a worksheet.

Lets say I have inserted a comment in cell A1 with the following data:

"State" "City" "TimeZone"
"Delaware" "Wilmington" "Eastern"
"California" "Fresno" "Pacific

I would like to align all columns in the comment. The only thing separating all words is a variable number of spaces.

"State" "City" "TimeZone"
"Delaware" "Wilmington "Eastern"
"California" "Fresno" "Pacific

Upvote 0
Changing the font wont work. There are 3 columns of data in the comment manually keyed in. I use the space bar to separte values - the problem is I'm not consistent with the number of spaces used. Can a macro do the aligning for me on comments already entered?

Thanks,
XLML

Upvote 0
Sorry about my previous suggestions. But, pleas do try to edit the comment by changing its font to Courier. I tried two lines:

ABC 2 spaces, FGH, 2 spaces, and KLM
III 2 spaces, III 2 spaces, and III

and I saw each character of line 1 perfectly aligned with each character of line 2.

There are other fonts that use the "equal spacing" for each character. You might give it a try.

Edited later:
I found the following fonts all use equal spacing for all characters, including spaces and punctuation:
Courier, FixedSys, Letter Gothic, Lucida Console, Terminal, or any of the "West" group of fonts.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Ralph. I formatted comments using 2 of the fonts suggested and nothing moved or left aligned.

XLML

Upvote 0
XLML

I'm sure this is possible but I'm also pretty sure that it would involve some pretty complicated code.

You would need to calculate the amount of spaces to add between items based on various factors, eg length of longest item in column

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back