All I want is just a check mark option in a cell..... that look normal

Caper1144

I feel like an idiot. Usually I can figure out this stuff myself. But this I just can't. My work has a rounds sheet we do every day. Then we manually enter the data onto an excel sheet. Some cells you are just entering data like 3m or 50% or 4564708 and so on. But on the Y or N parts like "is (blank) in good condition" we usually put a check mark right in the box, but when entering the data we write "y" or "n". Putting an actual check mark in is more then 1 second so no one does it. I just want a check mark option. click the box or not. I can kind of get that. I went to the developers ribbon, went to insert and under form controls there is a little check mark option. So I insert that. First it doesn't even place it centered in the box, it just places it on the sheet around the cell. Ok I can move it, take the text out and kind of center it and I have my check box. But it's only like a few millimeters wide and high. You can barely see the check mark. If I right click on it and go to format control, there are options to make it bigger... but it being the whole borders the check mark box resides in... I guess that's the clicking space?? It doesn't actually make the little box or check mark bigger. No idea what to do here. There is also another part of my rounds sheet I want to make better. Not sure what to do. Basically need to split cells into two instead of just clicking within a cell on either side of a "/" to enter data. I will insert and image to show what I mean.

Attachments

• check mark.JPG
    check mark.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Generator.JPG
    Generator.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Genfilledout.JPG
    Genfilledout.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Don't worry, it's totally normal to get stuck with certain tasks in Excel. Here are some tips to help you with your two questions:

1. To create a check box in Excel, you can use the "Check Box (Form Control)" option under the "Form Controls" section of the Developer tab. To ensure that the check box is centered in the cell, you can first select the cell and then insert the check box. After inserting the check box, you can right-click on it and choose "Format Control" to adjust its size and other properties. To make the check mark bigger, you can select the check box and adjust the "Zoom" property under the "Size" tab of the "Format Control" dialog box.
  2. To split cells in Excel, you can use the "Text to Columns" feature. Here's how:
    • Select the cells that you want to split.
    • Go to the "Data" tab and click on the "Text to Columns" button.
    • In the "Convert Text to Columns Wizard", choose the "Delimited" option and click "Next".
    • In the "Delimiters" section, select the delimiter that separates the data in your cells (in your case, it's "/") and click "Next".
    • Choose the data format for each column (e.g., "General" for text and numbers, "Date" for dates, etc.) and click "Finish".
      Excel will split the selected cells into separate columns based on the specified delimiter.

Upvote 0
Is formatting the cell as Marlett font and typing a lower case a an option?

Upvote 0
Don't worry, it's totally normal to get stuck with certain tasks in Excel. Here are some tips to help you with your two questions:

1. To create a check box in Excel, you can use the "Check Box (Form Control)" option under the "Form Controls" section of the Developer tab. To ensure that the check box is centered in the cell, you can first select the cell and then insert the check box. After inserting the check box, you can right-click on it and choose "Format Control" to adjust its size and other properties. To make the check mark bigger, you can select the check box and adjust the "Zoom" property under the "Size" tab of the "Format Control" dialog box.
  2. To split cells in Excel, you can use the "Text to Columns" feature. Here's how:
    • Select the cells that you want to split.
    • Go to the "Data" tab and click on the "Text to Columns" button.
    • In the "Convert Text to Columns Wizard", choose the "Delimited" option and click "Next".
    • In the "Delimiters" section, select the delimiter that separates the data in your cells (in your case, it's "/") and click "Next".
    • Choose the data format for each column (e.g., "General" for text and numbers, "Date" for dates, etc.) and click "Finish".
      Excel will split the selected cells into separate columns based on the specified delimiter.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still having the same issue with the check mark. I don't really see the zoom option. I can change the height and width, but it only changes the size of the outer box. You can see what I mean in the pics I included. You can also get a sense of the size of the checkmark. Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• Checkbox.JPG
    Checkbox.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Checkbox2.JPG
    Checkbox2.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 5
  • Checkmark2.jpg
    Checkmark2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Checkmark3.jpg
    Checkmark3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back