All numbers in parentheses when printing or in print preview

eileen123

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am actually using google sheets - but hoping the same error happens in Excel that you can possibly help me with. All numbers display normally when viewing/editing the sheet. When I click print, the print preview shows parenthesis around all numbers in various cells from 1 to 32 (in parentheses) and it prints this way too (I did not enter these numbers in brackets). I am using Google Chrome and see example screen shot below.

I have tried changing the formatting, cleared cookies and cache and nothing works. How do I make these numbers in parentheses disappear, as we want to use this sheet to print and show outside parties and it looks unprofessional. Thanks in advance for any help!

Screen shot from Sheet in print preview mode->
1579813021959.png

Screen shot of sheet in normal mode:
1579813210274.png

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
A quick search on google indicates that this is a problem with google sheets. There is a thread on google support from november 2016 for a very similar problem which appears to be unresolved. One user there has said that they traced the issue to custom formatting and that when changed to a different format it appears to print correctly.

If that doesn't work for you then I think that the only other way to fix it would be to use an alternative application.

Upvote 0
Hi Jason, I found that same post which was unresolved but I think I figured it out. This only happens in the cells that I have entered notes in - when I remove the notes. - the numbers in brackets disappear. So, problem solved!

Thanks for your help!
Eileen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back