All todays data has disappeared! :( PLEASE HELP!!!

Brovashift

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am praying to god that someone here can please help me... I have been working on a project in Excel (office 2007) and have been working on it all day today, was literally finished, just one more formula for the last cell and I was done.

I tired to open up another excel project by starting a new excel program, like I have done before, in order to see how a particular formula had been written in there, and other projects seemed to crash. I dialog box did pop up but I didn't read it and just hit OK. But now all the work I have done today had disappeared, and there was a lot! Also the completed project that I was trying to open up has also lost part of its data as well. I don't understand what has happened, because I have also got Auto Save checked in the options, set to every 10mins.

I am praying that those auto saves are somewhere on my computer. I am using windows 10.

I am hoping one of you excel experts can save me, before my acid reflux kills me! lol

Thank you in advance o_O

I think you won't see the Edit button as you are a new member. You have to have posted x amount of times before that feature is available to you.....It's a security thing.
It's down on the left hand side next to "report"
Did you try post #9

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
There is an Edit button on ALL posts but can only be edited up to 10 minutes after it's posted !
Also, try
File Explorer has a convenient way to search recently modified files built right into the “Search” tab on the Ribbon.
Switch to the “Search” tab, click the “Date Modified” button, and then select a range.
If you don't see the “Search” tab, click once in the search box and it should appear
What is the search tab? Do you mean the search box; top right "Search Quick Access"? If so, I dont see an option to search by date modified...

search.JPG

Upvote 0
I think you won't see the Edit button as you are a new member. You have to have posted x amount of times before that feature is available to you.....It's a security thing.
It's down on the left hand side next to "report"
Did you try post #9
Ah right I see, that'll be why then (y)

Which was post 9? is it this one above I have just replied too? I've tried everything apart from this search by date modified.

Upvote 0
The search turned up nothing unfortunately, only files since worked on, no drafts. While that was searching my computer I started to worked on the spreadsheet and have re-input a lot of the work I had done, so I'm almost back to where I was now... But what I nightmare! ?

But thanks for your help though guys (y)

Upvote 0
Please take the following from a point of kindness as this is how I am saying it ....

I have learned the hard way, as you have just now, to never depend on something Microsoft has "built in" as an end all solution. A few years back I too lost an entire project because I wasn't saving as I went. Not "saving" as in depending on Excel to do it, but saving a copy as I went along. That is what I have been doing ever since.

Best wishes.

Upvote 0
just a tip, , over the years , in a large coporation, where changing requirements (Scope creep) ALWAYS happened and was the culture and so
whenever working on Excel/word/powerpoint , often i would go over the top and save with a date and time in the format
Filename 20210510 1808
so date backwards YYYYMMDD- and time
and saved frequently throughout the day, sometimes maybe every 15mins, when loads of changes.
that also gave the option to back to previous version , as often happened , requirements changed back again.

But that does not help in this case,

Upvote 0
Please take the following from a point of kindness as this is how I am saying it ....

I have learned the hard way, as you have just now, to never depend on something Microsoft has "built in" as an end all solution. A few years back I too lost an entire project because I wasn't saving as I went. Not "saving" as in depending on Excel to do it, but saving a copy as I went along. That is what I have been doing ever since.

Best wishes.
I once read an article that described the following scenario:

While working with Excel, you click save and think that your work is saved. Then, a breaker is tripped or a blackout comes. When things go back to normal, you open Excel trying to get back to where you were. Surprise! Your work is not saved. There is a lag between when you click to save and when Excel actually saves the work. If you lose power in between, the work is not saved.

The article said Microsoft would rectify the problem. Not sure if they have done it. My pc is always on a UPS.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back