Andy0311

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I copied name and address data into a workbook and saw that I could not allign the cells using the cell function. The trim function would not work either. Here is an example below. Ordinarily I would select the unalligned cells and use the allignment function in Excel. But that didn't work. I would like to be able to have all column data allign exactly as it does in the header row. Thanks for any help you can offer. Andy

excel screen shot of table.JPG

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Where have you had the data from? Copied from a website? You probably have hidden characters in there that trim doesnt recognise as a space. Lets take Roger Smith. If hes in cell A2 then what does this produce:

=CODE(LEFT(A2,1))

Upvote 0
Bring the data into Power Query/Get and Transform on the Data Tab. Use Clean and then Trim in PQ. It works differently than in Native Excel.

Upvote 0
Where have you had the data from? Copied from a website? You probably have hidden characters in there that trim doesnt recognise as a space. Lets take Roger Smith. If hes in cell A2 then what does this produce:

=CODE(LEFT(A2,1))

=CODE(LEFT(A2,1))
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back