Allow Edit Cells in a Protected Document

abbyfaye

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a macro I'm running that allows you to insert a new row and copy formulas by double clicking any cell. I've tried running the below code to allow my macro to run on a locked document, which it does...but the cells I had locked using the "Format Cells" are still editable. How am I able to lock specific cells in a range and allow my macro to run? I also need to be able to delete rows which I thought would be possible with my AllowDeletingRows:=True, but I get an error that says "The cell or chart you're trying to change is on a protected sheet. To make a change, unprotect the sheet..." Additionally, how do I add a password to protect the document?

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
Cancel = True
Target.Offset(2).EntireRow.Insert
Target.EntireRow.Copy Target.Offset(2).EntireRow
On Error Resume Next
Target.Offset(2).EntireRow.SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearContents
With ActiveSheet
.EnableOutlining = True
.Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True _
, AllowFormattingCells:=True, AllowDeletingRows:=True, AllowFormattingColumns:=True, _
AllowFormattingRows:=True, AllowInsertingHyperlinks:=True, AllowFiltering _
:=True, userInterfaceOnly:=True
End With
End Sub

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
As you know, with the userInterfaceOnly argument set to True, only the user interface is protected, not the macro. So the user can edit a cell if it's unlocked. And, since the AllowDeletingRows argument is set to True, the user can delete a row, provided that every cell in that row is unlocked. Also, since only the user interface is protect, the macro can edit cells and delete rows, whether or not they're unlocked.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
As you know, with the userInterfaceOnly argument set to True, only the user interface is protected, not the macro. So the user can edit a cell if it's unlocked. And, since the AllowDeletingRows argument is set to True, the user can delete a row, provided that every cell in that row is unlocked. Also, since only the user interface is protect, the macro can edit cells and delete rows, whether or not they're unlocked.

Hope this helps!
Hi Domenic,
I am in agreeance with you, this is the point I'm stuck at. I need to delete a row that contains some locked cells. If a row is added by accidentally double clicking a cell, I need to be able to have it deleted without unlocking the document. My hunch is this isn't possible, but looking for additional opinions.

Upvote 0
How about simply unprotect the sheet at the beginning of your code, and then protect it at the end if it, like this...

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)

Me.Unprotect Password:="YourPassword"

'Your code here
    '
    '

Me.Protect Password:="YourPassword"

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back