alternate to pivot table for 130,000 rows of data?

jennyrabbit

Board Regular
Do any of you know of any alternative way to plot data like a pivot table/chart can for larger than the 67,000 rows? I have been breaking up the data file into smaller files, but wonder if there is any way to get around this (Super Excel?!) or even another application which has this feature? thanks

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Could you put the data in access and use some tables to create some summaries of the data? That way you could keep all the raw data, but only export to excel and plot at the level which trends would be meaningful.

For example if your data had 100,000 units for 100 different types of equipment, you could create a relationship between a parts table and the data table, and run a query giving only the units for the type. If you follow what I mean. :wink:

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, but that is not what I want to do if I can avoid it. I want to see the whole kabash (hmmm..is that a word?), but in the meantime I am doing what you suggested anyway.

Upvote 0
Hi, I dont think you can exceed the Pivot table limit of 256 fields and 65,535 rows of data (1 row for the header).

With that much data I suspect it would be reasonably slow going in Excel and you would be better of with a stand alone database such as Access. You can of course export data from Excel to Access presuming Access is a viable option for you.

Upvote 0
Yeah...I use SQL all the time. In fact, that's how I got this large data set. I just thought there might be some magic out there! Thanks.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure theres pivot table/chart options in Access if that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back