Alternative to Excel for creating charts on large data sets

nick323f

Hi Guys,
Im currently working on data sets which are csv files around 15MB each. 400k rows of data
I need to sort the data into four groups (in excel I filter and cope to four different worksheets)
then I do some basic calculations on the data
then I need to plot the data in a chart.

By the time I plot the data into a chart the excel file becomes about 50MB and excel really doesn't like being this big.
does any know a better software package that I should start investigating?

I can see that this project is going to incur even larger sets of data soon

thanks
Nick

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
If you want free and open source options capable of handling data sets of that size, two to consider are Python and R. Both offer scripting capabilities and powerful tools for analysis and plotting. Enhanced plot capabilities are offered through other packages that integrate well with those languages/environments. Two such examples are ggplot for Python and ggplot2 for R. There is a learning curve for these, but the results can be well worth the effort.

Upvote 0
If you want free and open source options capable of handling data sets of that size, two to consider are Python and R. Both offer scripting capabilities and powerful tools for analysis and plotting. Enhanced plot capabilities are offered through other packages that integrate well with those languages/environments. Two such examples are ggplot for Python and ggplot2 for R. There is a learning curve for these, but the results can be well worth the effort.
I agree and would suggest looking into Jupyter Note book for ease of use with both R and Python.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, thank you both for your feed back. I will take a look at them both. Much appreciate your reply

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back