Alternative to "IF" formula?

DavidB90

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I apologize in advance for my lack of excel knowledge, but was looking for an alternative solution for the "IF" function.

Currently I'm running a billing spreadsheet where I have codes for our products followed by a description. The code is something simple like ABC123, but the description has to be fairly extensive. I'm looking for a simpler way to have the description automatically populate once the code has been entered. I only know of using the "IF" function, but when I have 100 different codes with 100 different descriptions the formula would be incredibly long and I can have hundreds of line items in a sheet.

If the codes were all in order it would be simple and I would just autofill, but unfortunately it doesn't work out that way. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank You

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Welcome to the Board!

One simple way would be to make a two column lookup table, where the first column has your code and the second has its associated description.
Then you can use a simple VLOOKUP function to return the value from the code, as show here: VLOOKUP Function

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the Board!

One simple way would be to make a two column lookup table, where the first column has your code and the second has its associated description.
Then you can use a simple VLOOKUP function to return the value from the code, as show here: VLOOKUP Function
You are amazing! Just did a quick trial run and this is exactly what I was looking for.

It's funny how simple that function is, but even after google searching for half an hour for an answer I had no luck. Thankful for experts like you that know exactly what I'm looking for.

Many Thanks!

Upvote 0
when using VLOOKUP you must not move insert any intervening columns and always have the lookup column on the left. With 2 columns only this is fairly benign.
But, one way to get the same results is with index/match formulas. Assume your lookup value is in cell A1, the lookup references are in D2:D50 and the lookup return is in E2:E50. An INDEX Match Formula would be:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX($E$2:$E$50,match(A1,$D$2:$D$50))

you can move the lookup and return ranges anywhere and the formula will not break.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back