Alternative to locking cells

Mldeuser

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a way to prevent users from entering information into cells that have formulas short of protecting the cells.

We are using version 2003, I did make sure the setting allowed for inserting and deleting rows, the problem is that when one column is locked the user can not insert or delete rows. So I was looking to see if there was a work around to this by using a macro or through some other method.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Dont lock by columns lock only individual cells. Remember you can Protect Ranges by just Selecting The A Range,

Upvote 0
We are using version 2003, I did make sure the setting allowed for inserting and deleting rows, the problem is that when one column is locked the user can not insert or delete rows. ...

I can insert rows and columns just fine with an entire column protected.

Obviously if one elects to protect the *entire* column, then the entire column, is, indeed protected; i.e. you won't be able to delete any rows because all rows are going to intersect with your protected column. The answer is simply to avoid protecting the entire column and only protect those cells in the column that need it.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately all cells in four of the columns need to be locked as they all contain formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back