Alternative to lookup formulas

MissingInAction

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone. I'm looking for an alternative to the lookup formula. Here is some background. The Excel sheet is for a landfill site, so every time waste gets dumped, the entry gets assigned a unique sequential number. On the invoicing sheet I have calculations to determine how much each company must pay for the waste they dumped. On the invoice it should also list all the sequential numbers relevant to waste that must be paid for (some waste types are free to dump, so they don't need to be listed.) This is where the lookup formula alternative comes in. I had a lookup formula that worked, but now it doesn't anymore and I don't know how to fix it. It also slows down Excel quite a bit.

I have tried vlookup and xlookup, but it only lists the first entry its find not the list. Hope I explained it well.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi Dear,

Since you have Office 365, you can use the Filter formula.
In order to be able to suggest the exact formula, please share a sample of the data using XL2BB.

Regards
M. Yusuf

Upvote 0
I make use of multiple sheets, so I'm not sure XL2BB will work for that. Here is a link to the file: Invoicing.xlsm
The waybill data can be found in the Data sheet and the current lookup formula is located at cells I2:I108 on sheet Private.

Thank you

Upvote 0
I did understand exactly what conditions you are looking for, and could not locate sheet Private. Bt I created a new TEST sheet where I demonstrated the use of the Filter formula so you can adjust.

Regards

Upvote 0
ah sorry, i forgot I renamed the sheets on the file I uploaded. Private sheet is actually Region 1 sheet. I'm looking at your test sheet now.

Upvote 0
@mamady
Please post you suggestion to the board so that everyone can see it. Thanks

Upvote 0
Book1
BC
2Company NameCompany 105
4Transaction IDGeneral Waste
TEST
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5:B53B5=FILTER([Invoicing.xlsm]Data!$A$12:$A$271,[Invoicing.xlsm]Data!$D$12:$D$271=TEST!$C$2,"")
C5C5=FILTER([Invoicing.xlsm]Data!$Q$12:$Q$271,([Invoicing.xlsm]Data!$D$12:$D$271=TEST!$C$2)*([Invoicing.xlsm]Data!$L$12:$L$271=TEST!$C$4)*([Invoicing.xlsm]Data!$A$12:$A$271=TEST!B5),"")
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Hi Mamady. I have looked at the formula, but I do not understand it. I'll refer to this formula:
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Data!$Q$12:$Q$271,(Data!$D$12:$D$271=TEST!$C$2)*(Data!$L$12:$L$271=TEST!$C$4)*(Data!$A$12:$A$271=TEST!B5),"")

I'm rewriting it to explain what is confusing me:
=Filter(Net Weight Range,(Company Name Range=Company Name)*(Product Range=Product)*(Transaction code Range=Transaction code),"")

I assume the * in the formula is used to multiply? If so, why multiply the company name result, with the product result and then multiply that with the transaction code? I do however realize that the product portion of the formula results in a true/false result, but that just confused me more.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back