Alternative to Vlookup using macros

Kemidan2014

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am hoping this wonderful community can help me once again! with one problem of using Copy paste to paste on criteria from one work sheet another has been solved. i found that becuase my SOURCE worksheet for this task is 1000+ rows and 22 columns of Vlookups referencing a master file who will be overwritten as needed based on information we get from customers. This is causing a very long processing time for the newly added copy paste macro to work. i have found that if my Sheet 1 source data is just text it works INSTANTLY.

my solution needs to be my source sheet also needs to be a copy pasted data from our Masterfile instead of Vlookups. and as it wont be as easy as using the same macro.

I want to copy and paste all rows of data from my master file but i want to EXCLUDE certain columns because this information is irrelevent.

Source: Master file has headers in Row 1, 39 Columns and then Data below that about 1000+ rows of it and grows over time
Destination: Current working file "Sheet1" Same headers in Row 1 but only 23 of the columns of information that we want in this sheet

how would i target in VBA to only copy those specified columns and give me all the corresponding information below that column.

heres headers from source file

ToyotaData.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAHAIAJAKALAM
1QIMS#Doc TypeInstance Handle KeyRankSupplier CodeTMMC Supplier CodeSupplier NamePart NamePart NumberOverall StatusNCD DescriptionQENameFull NameFull NameModelSQA RankLT CM Plan DueOriginal LTCM Actual Due DateRevised LTCM Actual Due DateCloseInitial Issuance DateOfficial Issuance DateLTCM Plan SubmittedLTCM Plan Accepted DateLTCM Plan Rejection DateLTCM Actual SubmittedLTCM Actual Accepted DateLTCMActualRejectionDateOccurenceWhere NC found?Will Parts Be Quarantined ?Why Made CategoryWhy Shipped CategoryNAMCST/CM StatusLT/CM StatusStandardActualAssigned To
Data

heres what i want to get to

Customer database test 2.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUV
1QIMS#Doc TypeRankSupplier CodePart NamePart NumberOverall StatusNCD DescriptionModelLT CM Plan DueOriginal LTCM Actual Due DateRevised LTCM Actual Due DateCloseInitial Issuance DateOfficial Issuance DateLTCM Plan SubmittedLTCM Plan Accepted DateLTCM Plan Rejection DateLTCM Actual SubmittedLTCM Actual Accepted DateLTCMActualRejectionDateNAMC
Sheet1

I apologize but due to nature of the info i cant publically share it. just assume there 1000+ rows of data in each cell below up and that will grow over time so lastrow will always be different.

Let me know your thoughts on this code the only issue it on "Set srcWB...." line i get a runtime error that it can not find cells so i am not sure whats wrong with that line

VBA Code:
Sub Update_trial()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long, srcWB As Workbook, desWB As Workbook
    Workbooks.Open ("O:\1_All Customers\Current Complaints\ToyotaData.xlsx")
    Set srcWB = Workbooks("O:\1_All Customers\Current Complaints\ToyotaData.xlsx").Worksheets("Data")
    Set desWB = Workbooks("Customer Database Test 2.xlsm").Worksheets("sheet1")
    LastRow = srcWB.Cells.Find("Q*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

With srcWB
        .Range("AN2:AN" & LastRow).Formula = "=IF(MATCH(A2,'[Customer database test 2.xlsm]Sheet1'!$A$2),""true"",""false"")"
        .Cells(1).CurrentRegion.AutoFilter 23, "false"
        .Range("A:B,D:D,E:E,H:K,O:O,Q:AB,AH:AH" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
        With desWB
            .Cells(.Rows.count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
            .Columns.AutoFit
        End With
        .Range("A1").AutoFilter
        .Columns("W").Delete
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
It is an excellent example!
So, consider the data in this QIMS# column, to add new records.

In addition to adding the new records. Of the QIMS# that already exist in the destination sheet, you also want to make updates, that is, for example, if for 01-01016-V6-5002 you changed the NCD Description from "LOOSE" to "WRONG PART", then the macro should update sheet1?

Upvote 0
Yes that correct! we WOULD want to do that. I totally forgot to consider dates being added as the steps progress through the complaint process which would need to be filled on older complaints so the code i just posted wont work it would just only find new record (if it did work) instead up updating the older ones

Upvote 0
the code i just posted wont work
However, I made some corrections to the code.

VBA Code:
Sub Update_trial()
  Dim lr As Long
  Dim srcSH As Worksheet, desSH As Worksheet

Set srcSH = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Data")
  Set desSH = Workbooks("Customer Database Test 2.xlsm").Worksheets("sheet1")

With srcSH
    If .AutoFilterMode Then .AutoFilterMode = False
    lr = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3).Row
    .Range("AN2:AN" & lr).Formula = "=IFERROR(IF(MATCH(A2,'[" & desSH.Parent.Name & "]" & desSH.Name & "'!$A:$A,0),""true"",""false""),""false"")"
    .Cells(1).CurrentRegion.AutoFilter 40, "false"
    If srcSH.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3).Row > 1 Then
      .Range("A2:B" & lr & ",D2:E" & lr & ",H2:K" & lr & ",O2:O" & lr & ",Q2:AB" & lr & ",AH2:AH" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
      desSH.Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
      desSH.Columns.AutoFit
    End If
    .Range("A1").AutoFilter
    .Columns("AN").ClearContents
  End With
  srcSH.Parent.Close False
End Sub

Now, I understood the requirement. I prepare a new code to update data and add new ones.

Upvote 0
The following macro updates and adds new records.
Let's save the step of opening the file, first open the file and try the macro:

VBA Code:
Sub Update_trial_3()
  Dim i As Long, j As Long, nRow As Long, n As Long
  Dim rng As Range, col As Range, c As Range, f As Range

Set srcSH = Workbooks("ToyotaData.xlsx").Sheets("Data")
  Set desSH = Workbooks("Customer Database Test 2.xlsm").Sheets("sheet1")
  Set rng = srcSH.Range("A:B,D:E,H:K,O:O,Q:AB,AH:AH")

For Each c In srcSH.Range("A2", srcSH.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3))
    Set f = desSH.Range("A:A").Find(c.Value, , xlValues, xlWhole, , , False)
    If Not f Is Nothing Then nRow = f.Row Else nRow = desSH.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3).Row + 1
    j = 0
    For Each col In rng.Columns
      n = col.Column
      j = j + 1
      desSH.Cells(nRow, j).Value = srcSH.Cells(c.Row, n).Value
    Next
  Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
OK i tested both sets of codes. Both generated Run time Error.

1st one you posted failed at PastingSpecial, if opened Toyotadata, filtered to False, (becasue we had an update since i last downloaded so it was a good time to test) Found the new record, copied it. but then it couldnt paste it

"desSH.Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues" i looked at the destination sheet and you can see Excel had hilighted first blank row as if it was attempting to paste.

The 2nd code generated Run Time error 9 at

Set srcSH = Workbooks("ToyotaData.xlsx").Sheets("Data") i am wondering if this is because the entire drive location isnt filled out?

im going to try the first code again and and change "PasteSpecial xlPasteValues" to "PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues" becuase this is what ive used before

Upvote 0
OK! Step one im an idiot and left sheet protected but added Paste:= works!! and added the new record to the BOTTOM instead of in the MIDDLE where its found in the master sheet.

I tried the 2nd macro again and it still failed to find the source

Upvote 0
Adding the corrected code that works for the communities benefit

VBA Code:
Sub Update_trial()
  Dim lr As Long

Set srcSH = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Data")
  Set desSH = Workbooks("Customer Database Test 2.xlsm").Worksheets("sheet1")

With srcSH
    If .AutoFilterMode Then .AutoFilterMode = False
    lr = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3).Row
    .Range("AN2:AN" & lr).Formula = "=IFERROR(IF(MATCH(A2,'[" & desSH.Parent.Name & "]" & desSH.Name & "'!$A:$A,0),""true"",""false""),""false"")"
    .Cells(1).CurrentRegion.AutoFilter 40, "false"
    If srcSH.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3).Row > 1 Then
      .Range("A2:B" & lr & ",D2:E" & lr & ",H2:K" & lr & ",O2:O" & lr & ",Q2:AB" & lr & ",AH2:AH" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
      desSH.Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
      desSH.Columns.AutoFit
    End If
    .Range("A1").AutoFilter
    .Columns("AN").ClearContents
  End With
  srcSH.Parent.Close False
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Well i flagged too soon, i did a another test, although the code works without error I edited the master sheet to throw a date in a cenn that was blank to see if it would pick it up and it did not.

Upvote 0
The following macro updates and adds new records.
The code you should use is that of post #15, as it updates and adds records. Obviously the records are added at the end of the base. If you want, the data can be sorted by ID.
In the destination sheet the data will be pasted in cell A2 onwards, so is your example. If you don't want them in cell A2, then I must modify the macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back