Am I asking too much from Excel?

lost_in_the_sauce

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Currently trying to improve upon company financial statements - the previous version is an all in 1 with all journal entries hardcoded in previous months and accounts only at rollup level.

I am trying to build 4 files to host in One Drive/Sharepoint to improve our internal process (version control, better drill down ability, etc).

File 1 is the master data paste from Great Plains that gets updated - due to growth there are lots of reconciliations still going on in previous months so there are 21,200 lines of data that all have an additional 9 columns of info mapped to them from a different tab based on identifier codes from GP. Size is 3 Mb.

File 2 is the Income Statement - 9 identical tabs for 8 brands + 1 consolidated that just adds the 8 tabs together in each cell, non-rollup cells are SUMIFS to the first file with 5 references for matching. 66 columns for months of history, not counting rollups or empty rows for formatting, 650 rows that pull mainly from file 1. 3 extra tabs for ancillary data, not a ton. Size is 5.6 Mb.

File 3 is the Balance Sheet, just like file 2, pulls from file 1, rows are down to 406, but each cell adds the one before due to aggregation. One row pulls from file 2 (Net Income). Size 4.4 mb.

File 4 Is the Statement of Cash Flows, and it honestly pulls from Files 2 and 3. It's the least complicated aside from the original data file, maybe less because not 21K lines of data.

Anyways - these things lock constantly. File 2 won't work with any numbers if File 1 isn't open. Saving takes 5+ minutes if I'm lucky enough to save and don't have to task manager -> end task. I'll only be eating ~250 Mb of RAM but power usage is Very High, almost no other apps running (I'll even close Teams, Chrome, and Outlook - no help at all). And this is just working on my computer - I had to uninstall One Drive because it kept trying to sync everything and just bringing my entire work computer to a complete halt.

Current computer is a Dell XPS 15 9510 - i9 2.5GHz, 32GM RAM, 64 bit, Windows 10 Business with Office 365.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
It's not really possible to answer this without knowing exactly what is in the files. File size doesn't help to diagnose this; the complexity of the operations in the file is what is important. Data? Formulas? Array formulas? Conditional formatting? Macros?

File 2 won't work with any numbers if File 1 isn't open.
There are some functions that won't work on an external file that is closed. What are the formulas that fail?

Upvote 0
It's not really possible to answer this without knowing exactly what is in the files. File size doesn't help to diagnose this; the complexity of the operations in the file is what is important. Data? Formulas? Array formulas? Conditional formatting? Macros?

There are some functions that won't work on an external file that is closed. What are the formulas that fail?
No macros. No Name Manager. The most complicated formulas are either a SUMIFS with 6 criteria or a series of INDEX MATCH columns for 21K rows of data. No arrays currently. No conditional formatting. Just nonstop log jams and Excel Not Responding.

Upvote 0
Would selecting "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange" in options help at all?

Upvote 0
No. That is for interactions with other applications through Windows.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back