An efficient way to colour a range of cells on a line with a number or another way (suggestions welcome!!)

donnabee

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi! So I'll give some background so what I am trying to achieve makes sense.
The screenshot is of me, assessing photos of roads for flood damage.

Where the damage starts, I highlight the row and hit "GOOD" up in the styles format (on the top ribbon).
When I have photos that show evidence of the damage I highlight the row and hit "NEUTRAL" up in the styles format.
When the treatment ends, again I highlight that row and hit "BAD" in the styles format.
I use these colors because the "regular" yellow red and green are glaringly bright and when we assess damage for months at a time, it can really hurt the eyes.

Row S wasn't always there, it is there for me trying to spitball ideas and make the above process more efficient. The actual choosing of the colors isn't so bad, is the having to highlight the whole row.

I work with two computer screens so I have the workbook on one screen and the photos on the other screen.

As you can see, the row is selected from A to U (normally T but I added S today)

What is something I can do that will select the range of cells easily OR color them for me with a number or other data in the S column? it would be awesome to be able to just use the number pad and hit numbers that color the lines in the range or any other shortcut someone can think of?

The more efficient I can make this process, the more roads we can assess and the faster the community gets safer roads to drive on. Sometimes these assessments are needed ASAP.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-22 093104.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-22 093104.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
In order for anyone to suggest something efficient they'd have to know what would trigger the colouring of the row. Would that be changing -4142 to 36 or one of the other numbers you're using? Something else?

Upvote 0
In order for anyone to suggest something efficient they'd have to know what would trigger the colouring of the row. Would that be changing -4142 to 36 or one of the other numbers you're using? Something else?
The trigger could be a simple 1 - 2 - 3 number in column S.

I added column U with its "assign a color a number" so I could filter out just red and green lines at the same time so I could get start and end chainage and coordinates out of those lines quickly.

Upvote 0
I could filter out just red and green lines at the same time so I could get start and end chainage and coordinates out of those lines quickly.
That's just indecipherable to me.
Hope you get a solution.

Upvote 0
No longer required - I found my answer with conditional formatting :)

Upvote 0
Good to hear you found a solution.
If you would like to post the actual solution (that is, the conditional formatting details) then it is perfectly fine to mark your post as the solution to help future readers. Otherwise, please do not mark a post that doesn't contain a solution.

Upvote 0
Good to hear you found a solution.
If you would like to post the actual solution (that is, the conditional formatting details) then it is perfectly fine to mark your post as the solution to help future readers. Otherwise, please do not mark a post that doesn't contain a solution.
No worries! I completely understand and I apologise.

I chose the first row across the top of my sheet that I wanted to be included in the colour fill, the row below my column headers.
Then I hit Shift + Control + Down Arrow and it selected everything in my range.

On the Home ribbon, I chose "Conditional Formatting" then "New Rule" then "Use formula to determine which cells to format"

I used 3 formulas, and they all started with =$S2=
(S2 is the start of the column used for data)

Then I worked out I wanted to use 1, 2 and 3 as triggers.
So my first rule was =$S2=1, then I hit the format button and chose my colours in fill.

I had to download another program to show me the hex value of the colours I wanted to use, and I just cut and paste those in.

Now when I type 1, it fills in green; 2 for yellow and 3 for red.
It's going to save so much time!

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back