An Excel 2010 compatibility issue with 97-2003

Boanerges_0800

I have a spreadsheet that I created in Excel 2010 with some data validation (drop down list), a pivot table and some sumif/vlookup all in the same spreadsheet. I want to make it available to others (running Excel 2007) in our network using the same functionality (noted earlier) but I have been unsuccessful. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When I tried to save the sheet as Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls) there is a pop up box "Microsoft Excel Compatibility Checker" informing me that the data validation rules and pivot table style will not be saved. Therefore, I selected "continue" and Excel strips the functionality out of the sheet and saves it as .xls. <o:p></o:p>
So I opened the sheet again and went through the process of establishing the data validation again and pivot tables (in the Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls)) version. When I tried to save it again I received the popup box again and the process repeated the same as paragraph two above.<o:p></o:p>
My questions are: <o:p></o:p>
1.)How do I create a sheet available for other users with different versions of Excel to be able to save their input and not have compatibility issues?<o:p></o:p>
2.) How do I update the sheet and save the changes when I run into the compatibility issues and excel strips the functionality?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks for reading!!!<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
The answer to my question for other users benefit:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Please observe this fact: Excel 2010 will not let you save in version 2007, it will only let you save to the oldest version which is titled Excel 97 - 2003 Workbook (*.xls). Not sure if this varies based on service pack but this is the reason I had to save in version 97-2003.xls below.

Basically, I had one employee list (approx. 300 names) that I wanted to use on multiple tabs throughout a spreadsheet, which you can do easily in Excel 2010. However, I have multiple users entering information into the tabs and they may be using versions of Excel Excel 97 - 2003.xls & 2007. So the only solution was to (1) Save the current sheet in Excel 97 - 2003.xls, note this will strip any 2010 functionality out through the compatibility checker (2) Copy the list to each tab and make a data validation using the list. (3) Redo the pivot table with Excel 97-2003 functionality. (4) I should note that I had to turn off the compatibility checker because it continually tried to check and report compatibility. Since I already saved and opened the sheet to check the compatibility worked by different users, I thought the checker was more of a nuisance for this particular sheet.<o:p></o:p>

Probably the only issue that I will have is if someone saves the sheet as an Excel 2010 *.xlsm again instead of an *.xls. <o:p></o:p>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem here is that in xl2003, data validation can't refer to a different sheet.

The solution is to use a named range..

highlight your list
Insert - Name - Define
Name it MyList (or whatever).

Then in data validation (on any sheet) you can use
=MyList as the list source.

And this will be compatible in any version.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Jonmo1. That works in 2010 compatability mode. I tried it originally becuase someone suggested it on another site but I couldn't get it to work in the sheet I was using.

I just tried it in a blank sheet with made up data and it works. Not sure why it didn't work in the first place but I wish it did.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back