Analysis and comparison of trends in Multiple Choice response data

LoneCub

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I just joined the forum after searching around and learning a few things about setting up my data entry table for later analysis of survey responses. I'm pretty excited about learning how to do calculations with Excel I've never even considered before.

I've got a series of 10 multiple choice questions, and I want to be able to compare & tally respondents who've answered one question a certain way with how they've answered other questions.

For instance, if I want to see how many respondents answer "B" on one question - indicating they're between the ages of 20-30, and how many answer "C" on the same question - indicating they're between the ages of 30-50 in order to compare the total of each group to another question's response (such as how many of each answered "D" - indicating they spend +$1,000 per year on transport) how should I set up the formula?

I've linked to the excel file here, if anyone wants to take a look and/or make any suggestions:

LifeCycle Survey Response Template

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
How do you have the submitted data set up? The easiest way to start playing around with what I think you're looking for is by using 'countifs'. Countifs allow you to tally the combinations of what you're looking for.

For example:

Code:
=COUNTIFS(A2="B",C2="D",F2="C")

This will either return 1 (true) or 0 (false) and can give you a quick glance to what you're looking for. I would recommend that your data each be submitted as a row and not as a column. That way, you can put this code in at the end of your data, copy down, and sum up the total to give you what you need.

Upvote 0
Qrtback10, thanks for the assistance! Each participant's data is arranged in a single row, so I can add a column at the end and select as needed. I'll play around with it to see that I get what I need, and I may be back with other questions, but that ought to do for now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back